Latest scores: Bass 2 - Walter 1

Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:57 pm

So I tried a new mark in Cork yesterday (on the open coast this time as opposed to Cork Harbour). Conditions looked good and I started off on the surface with a Patchinko followed by a Yo-Zuri Mag Popper, but it wasn’t to be.

Then about an hour before full-tide I tried a Megabass X-140 in the LZ Akahara Iwashi 2 (what a mouthful!) colour. After about four casts the lure was walloped, followed by head shaking and the whining of the clutch. I realised I was attached to what was at the very least a sizeable bass, this was shortly followed by the realisation that Mrs. Bass was about to put a group of boulders between me and her. So with my legendary lightning reflexes finally kicking in I piled on the pressure in an attempt to turn her and to prevent the braid from hitting the rocks. This clever tactical move on my part was followed by even more determined headshaking and plunging on the part of the fish and this in turn was followed by the X-140 deciding it had enough and giving up the ghost by heading skywards at speed. This of course left Mrs. Bass to carry on with the rest of her day without ever having the privilege of being introduced to my boga or enjoying the sight of my ugly mug staring down at her on terra firma. Adios to fish number one, even after all these years fishing I still managed some choice expletives for only the seagulls to enjoy.

About half an hour later I had another take on the same lure and the hooks pulled out almost on contact; this fish was only small though. I finally clipped on a Zonk Gataride in the Innakko (mullet) colour and was immediately rewarded with a consolation prize of a bass in the 3 - 4 lb bracket. Yes, I actually managed to land this one!

So overall the fish gave me a good thrashing, but it was an eventful day out and I know where I will be concentrating my efforts next time. I also witnessed the spectacular sight of a large bass swimming within/following a wave into shore, (Hawaii Five 0 style!).