catching bass on a lure

Fri May 13, 2011 3:08 pm

ive never spun for bass from a beach,so basically, how do i do it.which lures to use, do i fish the bottom,mid range or the surface,how far do i cast, etc etc. any input greatly appreciated.

Re: catching Bass on a lure

Fri May 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Check out http://www.probassfisher.com/search/lab ... 20-%20bass from Jim Hendticks blog. A load of info for you to digest.

Fri May 13, 2011 3:37 pm

id be interested in his too

Fri May 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Try off rocks instead last summer i did a lot of spinning/plugging in places i never would have taught to look for bass or pollack, get some cheap soft lures and try those i had great success with Berkely Gulp sand-eels in grey/purple color and there not so expensive :) good luck

Fri May 13, 2011 11:02 pm

anyone any experience of spinning/plugging for bass in the donegal area? pm if prefered thanks

Sat May 14, 2011 12:41 am

the key is dedication steol5589, you will find everything you need to know at probassfisher.com, even better, give Jim a call and arrange a days workshop with him. You'll be glad you did! 8)

Sat May 14, 2011 11:05 am

anyone know any marks in the dublin / wicklow to try

Sat May 14, 2011 4:09 pm

chenz116 wrote:anyone know any marks in the dublin / wicklow to try

Hi,
There are plenty of marks in Dublin and Wicklow with Bass, loads in fact, some places you wouldn't even think, but they're there, just don't expect to turn up at a mark that somebody might give you and expect to catch a Bass, it's not that easy, you have to put in a fair few hours, early starts, evening starts and a good bit of ground work to learn your marks. Your best bet is to try a few places yourself, travel light and go and have a look, especially at low water.

Sat May 14, 2011 8:40 pm

salmonboy wrote:anyone any experience of spinning/plugging for Bass in the donegal area? pm if prefered thanks

Yeah, but it's hard work. You'd do a lot better baiting.

Sun May 15, 2011 11:20 pm

have been looking to try get a bass on a lure myself this is something im interested in

Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Guy's in my experience its all about work,work,work I was lucky i caught a bass without knowing what i was fishing for or what i had caught so that was my experience since then things get better and better you have to try every mark you see no matter how stupid you think it is (in the way that bass would not be there) 9 times outta 10 that's where they will be, also if your really struggling meet up with a few guys on here as i did and you will learn a lot quicker and also if they realise that you are a genuine enthusiast they might show you a few well hidden spots :). Just have fun try everything and don't say no to any methods, marks, times etc, and happy hunting :)

Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm fairly new to fishing but had a surprise bass (5lb- Catch and release because a good fish is valuable) that took my spinner about 5 yards out from rocks near Ballycotton. I hadn't a clue what I was doing as I had only fished twice before and was using a small spoon with a feather.
Two years later and I haven't caught another one on a lure but had a couple on size two hooks baited with squid and mackerel.