Rods Rod sRods.......

Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 pm

I have been fishing for about 40 yrs and I am completely aware that asking opinions about rods and preferences for them is probably a hiding to nothing as there are so many different opinions and favourites. But I want to get as close as I can to some kind of consensus.

I ask about Tenryu because I have heard they are pretty good, but I have also heard about others.

I fish between SP's and sub surface lures and I have decided to refine my rod to my chosen style more specifically. I currently use a Mike Ladle 10/10 Pro which has a Casting Weight of 10-50 gms. And I love the rod. However, I never fish more than 30gms and I would like a rod that threw my 7gm SP's a little further. But I want a rod that will throw both my 7gm SP's as well as my 15 gm Lures just as well. But... then again.... if I am fishing my 7gm SP's and my 15 gm sub surface lures and I suddenly see a Mackerel feeding frenzy then I want to clip on my Mack rig ! So I want a rod that will readily deal with these demands but I also want it to be reliable. Forget SAKURA as I had one of those and the fxxxxg thing broke after one month !

I am not well off but I am not too concerned about cost because I want the rod best for the job. The reason I am asking about Tenryu is because I have heard they are good and I have seen a few with the specs' I want for casting weight and length e.g 7-25 and 8-35 gms. I like a rod of not less than 9'.

More than anything I want one that will do what it says and is RELIABLE. So..... any suggestions gratefully reviewed.

Cheers guys
flynnboy is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Re: Rods Rod sRods.......

Sun May 08, 2011 12:19 am

Tenryu Injection sp73M would suit, works 5g-30g, good with soft plastics and hard lures thats if red rods are what you want, the only drawback is the length only 7ft 3, I use Red Luck Super Distance rated 8-30g , an 8ft 2 rod which is really a lighter version of the rodbar240 which I also use, the RLSD has a lot of backbone too so will land big fish no problem! 8)

Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 am

Have a look at the Lucky Craft range http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishingl ... XHXXF.html

Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 am

I have to say the Daiwa Branzino looks very interesting, especially the BRANZINO MT109ML.

Anyone know anything about these ?

Sun May 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Have a look at the Tenryu Rod Bar 270, lovely rod and will cover everything your after

Sun May 08, 2011 6:04 pm

What about other makes.... does anyone know of other rods with a casting weight spec' of approximately 5/7 gms - 35/45 gms ?

Sun May 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Ilex have some lovely rods. Henry's Tackle have them. They are not cheap but are excellent. I have both a Tenryu and an Ilex and would give them equal rating.

Sun May 08, 2011 9:01 pm

heres a rod might suite ya if it does what it says on the tinthat is http://www.japanprofishing.com/bargain- ... -702x.html

Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Lads, I think we should support our own tackle shops if possible. By the time you pay post on a rod it is often more expensive than buying it here.

Sun May 08, 2011 10:10 pm

True for ya Stan! Especially when you can do a “deal” with the local shop.

While you seem fixed on the 8’ rod Flynboy you should really take a look at the 7 footers around.

I know all my fishing is done from the boat and the 7 footers suit perfectly but to be honest if I was heading to the shore I would be taking my 7 footers rather than anything longer, how things have changed!

I have had a feel off many rods on offer in this range. The two I use at present are:

Hart Finezza Hedge 7’ 7-30gr approx €200+
Surecatch Powerbraid Salty 7' 7-30gr Approx €50-60

While the Hart is a magnificent rod with the quality fittings etc. you would expect for the price (for a rod that is every bit as good as say the Tenryu Injection) The Surecatch is a rod that is really worth a look.

I have been using a Surecatch for the last few months and it is working out a gem. It is the first rod I reach for each time. I think it is because it brings a smile to my face each time I use it! A rod that ticks all the boxes for me at a price that is just…well unbelievable.

I don’t normally come on here singing the praises of any gear unless I think I have something special.

The buddy Rob took a video of the rod recently, a piss take but still gives you an idea:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1907565123360

If you really want to get a look and feel of some rods I would reckon a trip to Henry’s in Dublin is in order. As far as I am aware he has the best selection of the “modern” rods around… even some red ones :)

Wed May 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Yip I agree support local...Henry's in Dublin did me a savage deal when purchasing a rod and reel..50 quid off rod...fifty off reel and an 18 euro plug thrown in for free...aswell as alot of knowlege and tips,
My buddy bought a similar outfit off cian in absolute fishing and got similar discounts...honestly its worth it supporting your local shops as these guys are usually very experienced fisher men and decent guys who don't try and sell you any old shite...just good advise...also my buddy broke his rod on the second outing and called cian in absolute fishing and he is going to help him either get his rod fixed or find a top section for it......you won't get that service with the internet guys....

Wed May 25, 2011 3:19 pm

I think the shops are coming around to the fact that a lot of business has been lost to online shops and are
starting to drop the prices.. at last!!
Henry's seems to be leading the way and is probably doin great business because of it. Baumanns in stillorgan
the nearest one to me is 25%+ dearer than anyone. So like someone said go into henry's he'll look after you.
Don't be afraid to go down in length to 8' I was but it makes a huge difference.

Tommy

Wed May 25, 2011 4:14 pm

ive been dealing with henrys tackle for 15 years and although once having a reputation for being expensive they now hold some of the lowest prices in ireland for tackle on par with alot of the big english dealers and there is nothing they dont know about salt water lure fishing...... :wink:

Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Unfortunately Henry does not do PayPal and I do all of my fishing purchases with PayPal. This means in fact that I have to do the bulk of my buying in the UK or abroad. Ireland seems to be way behind on this. PayPal is easy, convenient and allows me to have a separate fishing stash from my normal card accounts. I do not like eating into my everyday accounts for my fishing and this allows me to save and budget specifically for fishing.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Beware of some high end brands that are raved about - fittings and build questionable after use - one of those mentioned here Illex is a quality product this guy here http://www.probassfisher.com/2005/09/re ... illex.html has fished Wexford and Northern France (surface and softs) since 2005 with this original ashura -7'-7" - still immaculate after hundreds if not thousands of hours - and as has been said here too available at Henrys in the slightly modifed newer version

Thu May 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Might be worth a look at the Sakura range of rods especially the Shinjin range. Personally I think Tenryu rods are a class above the rest have a look here http://www.henry-gilbey.com/blog/a_somewhat_rude_awakening.html the 5th picture down really says it all, how some people can question these rods really makes me wonder.... some mates of mine had sharks to 80lb in the keys recently on the red rods we use for bass in our waters.

Tenryu's you should have a look would be the injection, RLSD and the supermix all excellent rods.

Daiwa Morethan Branzino is well worth a look at as well a serious bit of kit.

J

Fri May 27, 2011 7:45 am

Sakura! Give me a break..... I bought one of those last year and it broke on me within 3 weeks !

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:29 am

........how some people can question these rods really makes me wonder....
they are not perfect and beyond questioning -

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 am

JimH wrote:........how some people can question these rods really makes me wonder.... they are not perfect and beyond questioning -

You wonder why someone questions a rod that breaks within 3 weeks of purchase......... :?: :shock: That makes any rod eminently questionable in my book, especially given several other reports of the same nature :roll:

If they are 'not perfect' how can they be 'beyond questionable' :?: That makes me wonder.......

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:42 pm

maybe it should read '....not perfect NOR beyond questioning....'
I trust you got a replacement?