Rough Coloured Water - Tactics

Tue May 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Folks,
Gonna go out in Dublin tonight & tomorrow. Bit early I know, but tides are good at the moment.
Was out yesterday and that Easterly was howling and the rough water is very dirty/weedy.
The question i have - Is it better to go with the likes of XRaps or other mid water lures instead of surface lures - which are very hard to work in the rough stuff ?
Thanks
JK

Only week 18 I know, but water temps seem to be quite good in Dublin Bay:
http://coastobs.pol.ac.uk/modl/metfcst/ ... &col=&row=
http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsd ... ations.htm & select River Dodder

Re: Rough Coloured Water - Tactics

Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Try soft plastics...especially while water temps are low...sink and draw real slow....try weedless hooks over rocks, I've been outfishing my buddies who are using plugs this time of the year...should have no bothers with them in the surf...shads with big paddle tails .that should draw the fish in poor clarity..color is your choice...like whites myself

Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Wouldnt have said tides were that good at the moment around Dublin.......very small, couple that with the last few days of strong ne winds which are swinging round to se by tomorrow, water clarity will be very low and the probability of weed aswell will make fishing very difficult, whether fishing on the top or subsurface.

The only thing you might have in your favour in that water temp may be a little above average.

I'd be suprised if you have much luck, but get out there and prove me wrong :lol:

Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 am

Make your presentations on the bottom with soft plastics, xlayers, wave worms, senkos etc - its a VERY simple but deadly technique that will see your catch rates soar - when conditions are difficult like today the fish may not be there until things improve - after yesterdays new moon tides are indeed good - but the weather is tough

some influences-
Normal summers day clear water - surface
Normal summers day clear water and a little cooler - lower surface or shallow runner
Colder summers day mid runner or soft bait on Jig head
Cold rain wind and miserable brown water - Jig head soft plastic (contemplate staying at home)

any worse stay at home..

Fri May 06, 2011 5:53 pm

JimH wrote:any worse stay at home..

Go bait fishing!!!