Prefered length for Fluro leader?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:59 am

Hey guys, I'm fishing 20lb Braid onto a 12lb Fluro tip, What length should this be?
Also, can someone recommend a brand of snap which won't effect the action of the lure?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Prefered length for Fluro leader?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 am

Normally I'd use the leader twice as long as my spinning rod, it's safer when you are in an area with snags, even better if you could leave a few turns on the reel, remember it'll become shorter after a while.
For connecting fluoro to braid I use the Seagur knot, easy to tie and gives me a small enough but still bulletproof connection without slipping or kinking the stiff fluoro: http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar_knot.html
To connect the lures to the tippet my favourite is the Breakaway Spin Link Clip, very light and easy to use: http://www.tackleworld.co.uk/acatalog/T ... cts_7.html
Just my favourites atm, surely you'll get other replies too. Tight lines!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:08 pm

I use about 2 feet of flouro....dose the job for me.... 8)

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm

I don't like the weight of the lure wearing on the braid while casting, so I tie that length leader. Furthermore, the leader serves an important purpose in ultra-clear conditions so I use it when I must. The clearer the water the longer the leader, if you can get away with it shorter you probably don't need it at all.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Couple of feet as a rubbing leader is all I'd use, and as for lure clips look no further than JB swivel clips size 3 or Illex Hyper 8 snaps, size 3 again, 8)

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Couple of feet of flouro for me too. Decoy egg snaps are good but lately I've been tying on my lures without snaps and replacing the leader when it gets short. Working fine for me.
Would be happier to have the weight of the lure/power of cast bearing on 20lb braid than 12lb mono.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:38 pm

JimC wrote:...Would be happier to have the weight of the lure/power of cast bearing on 20lb braid than 12lb mono.

I know a couple of 'serious' UK bass anglers who would only use a tippet in crystal clear conditions. Other than that its braid direct to the lure...and it doesn't upset their catch rate. Its probably a confidence thing, though. I'd start with a 2ft tippet and replace it when it gets down to 6in. As regards links...sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. JB's are the best I've come across if using links...other than that its a rapala knot for me.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:36 am

Pat wrote:
JimC wrote:...Would be happier to have the weight of the lure/power of cast bearing on 20lb braid than 12lb mono.

I know a couple of 'serious' UK Bass anglers who would only use a tippet in crystal clear conditions. Other than that its braid direct to the lure...and it doesn't upset their catch rate. Its probably a confidence thing, though. I'd start with a 2ft tippet and replace it when it gets down to 6in. As regards links...sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. JB's are the best I've come across if using links...other than that its a rapala knot for me.

I would have always worked direct to braid until this year. I prefer to tie the lure rather than fiddling with little clips with my big fingers (I can never seem to get the clips to work quickly) so it seemed best to go with a short leader. Do you tie the lure direct to braid Pat? If so what knot do you use?

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:25 am

Sorry, Jim...with me its a confidence thing...I always use a tippet. I'll see if I can get Matt Spence to post on here...he ties braid direct to lure. I'm sure he'll share his knot :wink: . I think its a grinner, if memory serves me correctly.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:16 pm

About two feet as already stated. It is going to dictate your drop length when casting. You do not want a leader knot around the first few rings when casting. So long enough to work as a rubbing leader but not so long as it hinders your casting.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

D

Joining braid to leader and the knot is a always a source for discussion - the thing being that the knot passing in/out of the tip rings will deteriorate over time -some knots can withstand this most cant - the allbright is one of the most commonly tied knots and will not stand the repitition nor will many others, hence keeping the knot outside the tip ring can dicatate the leader drop to your lure -

There is no need to make your leader any longer than the drop you are comfortable with, about 3 feet or so but you dictate that length thats comfortable -what purpose does a leader really serve?

I tend to use two or three types of material - Rio hard alloy saltwater mono, which i use around 'barnacaly' sharp rocky areas its very tough much tougher than braid in these conditions, the other type I use is Rio fluoroflex plus which i use when water conditions are clearer and this also has less stretch than mono but its not really noticeable over three feet or so, its also tough and abrasion resistant. The third type is a copolymer coated lightly in grey

No need to increase leader length for clearwater tactics rather change the lure type and material

Link to lure -Illex hyper 3's or Lefty Krehs improved loop knot or Homer rhode loop knot or rapala loop knot, braid to leader REVERSED allbright - I would also increase the strength of your leader to about 20lbs if using fluoro as there is not an huge increase in diameter compared to mono - so for example my fly leader end could be 15lbs but my tippet could be 20lbs of less diameter for fluoroflex

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:11 am

Pretty much covered it there Jim. I use about 2 to 3 foot myself depending on the rod I'm fishing. Basically I like to use as long a drop as possible to load the rod and push the distance if required. I used Braid direct for many years and in lumpy conditions it never effected my catch rate. When I used to do a lot of Bass angling I had a couple of very compelling session in Waterford a few years ago that has left me always using a tippet. I was fishing the area with a friend in a small boat. We were both using similar lures and tactics and because we were sitting a couple of feet away from each other we were covering pretty much the same area.... day 1 was lumpy enough and we had 4 fish each, although I had 5 hook ups. Day 2 was much brighter and conditions were very calm. I got 4 hook ups with 3 fish landed, my buddy had none. Day 3 was flat and bright. I managed a couple of fish and my buddy got 1...... after he changed to a fluro tippet :wink: I have never fished any other way since.

Kev

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:39 am

i dont mean to cut across this post but if you want to use braid what would be the best lb for it as i am only new to this game .for my bait fishing i use 15lb mono as i use now for my pluging. can anyone tell me what would be the same as 15lb mono in braid .i know it might be a silly question to ask but i just dont know

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 am

Ray, standard wisdom suggests that you use 30lb braid, until you get used to using it I suppose. My preference is 15lb invisibraid.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 am

Bass - 20lb PowerPro. Generally rocky marks. Sea Trout - 10 lb PowerPro, sandy estuary.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am

razor2 wrote:i dont mean to cut across this post but if you want to use braid what would be the best lb for it as i am only new to this game .for my bait fishing i use 15lb mono as i use now for my pluging. can anyone tell me what would be the same as 15lb mono in braid .i know it might be a silly question to ask but i just dont know

No such thing a a silly question when you are connected to an expensive or favourite plug :D

I use Strikepro StrikeWire in 20lb/ 9kg at 0.13 it comes in at around the same as 10lb normal braid which in turn comes in at something less than 4lb mono.
There was a discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31759

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Personal preference. 20ib powerpro with a tapered leader cut down to twice rod length. Enabales you to use bait as well should you wish to, not forgetting the instant glue on the knot :) :)

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:46 pm

price wise what would you be looking at for 30lb braid