Soft Plastics - hook size?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi all,

I've dabbled with Sps before but only basic jellyworms and the like.

I'm totally lost when it comes to the hook sizes required for the more modern Sps though.

I was going to order a few SPs including 7 inch hogys (like these: http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/ori ... p-891.html) and was going to rig them both texas style and also on a jig head (well, maybe not the hogys on a jig head but there are some smaller 4.5 -5.5 inch SPs around 10-14g which I would be putting on a 7.5 to 10g jighead).

Has anyone any idea as to what size hooks I would need for texas rigging and also what size hook on a leadhead for Sps of this size/weight? I was thinking 3/0 or 4/0 on the leadhead and 5/0 or 6/0 texas hooks?

I've trawled the internet looking for this but to no avail, so any information you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve.

Re: Soft Plastics - hook size?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Have a look here Steve http://www.lunkercity.com/sg-rig.html

These are very similar to what you are looking at and a good bit cheaper too.
This is what I use a lot the slug go's 7.5 inch and a 5/0 weighted offset hook
http://www.outkastfishingtackle.com/Gam ... lash-8.htm
I find the weight gives a little extra for casting and because it's in line with the hook it doesn't affect the action of the SP too much

Hope this helps ya

Tommy

Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 pm

a problem that i was having was are the jig heads not very light and dont cast far?
or is there no need to cast far?
would these be useful for fishing off rocks for pollick ect

Mon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Around rocks you don't need to cast far. You need the right set up if you want to be casting far with them and the main thing is light line. I use 12lb berkeley whiplash and find it casts a mile.

Tommy

Thu May 19, 2011 11:01 pm

i dont know much about the soft plastics but i've started with them recently but most importantly for a newbie like me i use weedless hooks (texas style)..
first time i used them i was amazed that i could bounce them along the rockiest boulder strewn mess with kelp beds you could imagine..i could feels every contact with the rocks (the graveyards for manys an expensive plug of mine) and snags i know so well.i didn't loose one plastic lure and caught when my friend on plugs didn't.
..i'm not saying its better..
maybe just another trick when nothing else is working...i think this might be impossible using soft plastics with protruding hooks (for me anyway) .bear in mind the weedless hooks are pretty big and sharp if you buy decent ones...plastics can be very cheap...eg hart...and with the jig its a lot cheaper than plugs....although the soft plastics will only last about three sessions or maybe one if they're munched..maybe worth trying?

Sat May 21, 2011 12:00 am

Sorry that rant was a bit off the topic...I use anything from a 3/0 to 5/0 the from 1/4 oz to 1/2oz weight..the smaller for my xlayers and jelly worms and the larger for rolling shads or larger plastics (all texas style)...but as i've said i'm a newbie but these setups have worked over the last few weeks..i'd be interested to hear from more experienced anglers though