New lure rod and set up.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 pm

im thinking of getting a new lure rod. im presently using an 11 foot rod and was thinking of dropping down to an 8 or 9 foot rod. i find the 11 foot limits my casting some times when fishing off ledges im looking for a rod that i can just do an under arm whip with. im also using a shimano 4000 size reel and was wondering should i get a smaller reel? will be using the rod and reel for plugging etc.

also what breaking strain of braid is best for lure fishing and make.

any advice will be appriciated.

Re: New lure rod and set up.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Savagegear Bushwhackers are a good rod the 9 ft is nice, also the sakura rods Rookie or Shinjin, depends on your budget really, any shimano in the 4000 size would match up nicely 15-20lb braid straight thru or with a fluoro rubbing leader matter of choice really, have a search on here theres buckets of info 8) , if the budget stretches you could go red rod :shock:

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 pm

ha i dont think ill be getting one of those red rods until my numbers come up in the lotto but i was looking at the bushwacker. would you know if they have a stiff action or would they be softish? im looking for a rod that i can kind of do an under arm whip with but that wont cripple if i hook a decent fish.

have you ever used a diawa power mesh for lure fishing was looking at them also.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Samo, sent ye a pm.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:34 pm

cheers bud.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:06 am

Hi samo,

I have a berkley skeletor 15-40gm bass rod here I would consider selling. Only used it twice its mint, dont really have the need for it. Nice rod if your interested its similar to this:

http://boddenangler.de/Berkley-Skeletor ... -40-Spin_1

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:20 am

look into the berkley urban spirit, i have one and for its size there is a lot of forgiveness in it, my largest fish is a 14lbs 2oz spurdog viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28114&p=220299 , and its well able to flick small lures a long way, perfect for spinning for bass, pollack and float fishing for other species.
10lbs - 15lbs braid is more than enough, just be careful when fishing of rocks that the braid doesn't touch any of the rock or it will be an instant 'ping' and good bye fish

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:36 am

gd wrote:Hi samo,

I have a berkley skeletor 15-40gm Bass rod here I would consider selling. Only used it twice its mint, dont really have the need for it. Nice rod if your interested its similar to this:

http://boddenangler.de/Berkley-Skeletor ... -40-Spin_1

I have used this Rod personally, Was kind enuf 2 lend it 2 me one day, Very nice spinning Rod!!

Wouldnt sell it 2 me when i asked him 2, lolol.......

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 am

Change to an 8ft rod + 2500 shimano reel + 10 or 15lb braid! From 11ft you will not believe the difference. Even the smallest pollock will give you a good scrap. It will probably feel like a toy, but a powerful one I tell you. More than enough for our cold waters. When I went to Sardinia with a similar set up people laughed at me and told me to pray not to catch one of the Mediterranean beasts or I wouldn't last 5 seconds! :mrgreen: Price wise you should be able to get all the above for even under 100 euro: e.g. 8 ft shimano catana bx240M; shimano catana, nexave or exage 2500 front drag + tuff line, power pro or jerry brown braid.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi Samo,

I bought an Sonik sk3 8 foot spinning rod last year. I matched it up with a nice small shakespeare mach reel. I put some 8lb braid on it and it's been great for spinning so far. Great with the small stuff, I've had great sport going after half pound pollock in amongst the rocks with small plastics or even smaller spinners. It has enough whip in it to cast out a sidewinder a fair distance. I've also pulled in a decent tope from a boat on it (Despite what a few of the lads thought last year.) The only thing I might change is a small step up in braid strength because I've seen quite a few spinners sailing off into the distance after slight reel tangles etc.

The whole setup cost about €100-€110 including rod, reel, braid, backing line and a few spinners I happened to buy while in the shop on the long mile road.

Stephen