Pouring your own SPs

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 pm

I get through a lot of soft plastic lures in a season, so at over €15 a pack for Xlayers it works out expensive when you are loosing a lot. I am also planing to do a bit of HRF for wrasse this year so I can see that I am going to get through even more sps this season. So I was thinking of pouring my own plastic lures.
I did a quick trawl of the internet but could only find US or Japanese supplier of the materials.
Can anybody recommend a UK/Irish based online supplier of RTV silicone, lure plastic, colourant, scent additives?
Last edited by RockHunter on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Pouring your own SPs

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 pm

How ya frank,

Did ya have a look on the lure forum or lrf/hrf forum. They have tutorials plus where they source their materials etc.

Its a good idea, especially for Wrasse and Pollock, they destroy soft plastics for sport.

Danny.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks Danny,
I have just registered on the forum this afternoon - awaiting activation!!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 pm

http://www.bricoleurre.com/
Do a starter kit for lure molding. They're based in France.
That said the cost of many plastics have come down. The Hart range or competitive as are the wave worm range.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

http://www.bricoleurre.com/

This place is is France but as far as I know the shipping is a bit pricey, haven't ordered from them myself yet.

Btw you know that you can melt down your old sp's in the microwave and re pour them. I'm going to give it a go myself once I get a break from work, make a mould with plaster of paris and put all those old sp's to better use.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks Jim/Dave,
That is a useful website.

Dave wrote:tw you know that you can melt down your old sp's in the microwave and re pour them.

Yes I know that - might end up with some interesting colours if I recycle some of my old ones, particularly the worms with glitter!!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Frank, I have done a lettle bit of work on DIY SP'S, making moulds from fillers or plaster of paris. Melting old SP'S in the micro wave oven, going to get better oganised and make the moulds out of resin and geting the proper soft plastic material. These SP'S are for my use not for sale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 pm

spidercrab wrote:Hi Frank, I have done a lettle bit of work on DIY SP'S, making moulds from fillers or plaster of paris. Melting old SP'S in the micro wave oven

the filler for a mold is a good idea.
another idea off the top of my head(so it might not work :lol: ) is using a little piece of straw with a few tiny ball bearings inside to give the rattle that xlayers have. just pust the straw into the plastic as its setting.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Nice looking effort there They look very good.8)
You can buy bags of lure rattles...ball bearings in a little tube.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:45 pm

I have to get the scant sorted out, I have been trying to my hands on Aniseed oil but so far no luck yet. South side angling are carrying the rattles , bitt more work to do.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:22 pm

spidercrab wrote:I have to get the scant sorted out, I have been trying to my hands on Aniseed oil but so far no luck yet. South side angling are carrying the rattles , bitt more work to do.

cracko has a large barrell of the stuff , he soaks his feet in it when his toenails get to hard ,

Fri May 27, 2011 2:13 pm

should get the oil from most art shops .if not try cork art supplies on line

Sun May 29, 2011 4:38 pm

I suppose you could try a non toxic silicone maybe? just try carving a mould by hand ya never know!!