Storing soft plastics

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Where's the best place to store soft plastics after you've used them?, does it help to run them under cold water and then wrap them in tissue after use. I want to avoid them melting if I put them in my tackle box.

Re: Storing soft plastics

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:59 pm

They don't actually "melt". I'm told that the problem is that the "release oil" used in the moulding process of many (if not most) plastic boxes has a chemical reaction with the soft plastic.

I have checked which of my boxes are "softie friendly" but because I don't trust my memory at the end of a session I always store my soft plastics in polythene bags or their original packaging.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:00 pm

R

keep like with like - airtight airtight airtight
a quick wash under the tap helps, but dry when storing NO tissue paper
reasonably good airtight packs like ziplock bags are essential or original packaging
try to keep the 'oil or essence' they came in from evaporating and place used lures back in with new ones so they can re-absorb the 'magic' or make your own magic.....

for fun place two different colours in same pack (one of each) and see what happens - sometimes this is a good thing...!

different types stored together will sometimes 'morph' into glooop - this is difficult to put a jig head on and tougher to cast.

wave worms tend to be a bit tougher than senkos - I have seen senkos 'repaired' with a lighter and others too

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks for advice, I had some slug-go's and xlayers mixed in together from last year in my tackle box and it was a bit of a job cleaning up the mess plus they're not the cheapest either!, I now know how to store them so this won't happen again. Gonna try concentrate on the softies this year instead of the hard body lures..its been a long Winter, only a few more weeks to go now!!