Is it too early for Lures

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 am

Hi all

I was thinking of heading down to north Wexford on Saturday for a bit of fishing. Would I be wasting my time using the lures for bass? Had a good few bass last year on lures but that was from July onwards. Doin some pike fishin at the moment but it is just not the same. All help appreciated.
Thanks
Tommy

Re: Is it too early for Lures

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:02 pm

I know that there is a bunch of lads headed for wexford sunday with bags of fancy plastic, So youd never know ;) tides suit also.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:48 pm

Going to head to waterford so heres hoping. Will let ye know if we get anything.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

I was out in wexford for a few hours yesterday never got a tap :evil: mind you that means noting :lol:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Cheers lads good to know I won't be the only very optimistic angler out there :) I'll
let you know how I get on.

Tommy

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm

you can get bass this time of year but use sp very slow best of luck.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

mucks wrote:you can get Bass this time of year but use sp very slow best of luck.

You mean i can get bass this time of the year on sp"s :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Bigballs remember a certain man in Waterford getting 13 last year in cold weather!! 8 anglers and he was the only 1 that got 1!!!!!!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm

I sure do mate awsome fishing 8)

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Keeps the blood pressure up!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Waterford tomorrow and fingers crossed it aint to early.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Well lads fished today and not a sausage. Slight easterly blowin and the water was murky in some places and crystal in others.
The seal was about as always so maybe there was something there. Good to get out though and try the new gear.
Let us know how you get on whoever is goin out.

Tommy

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Fair play for getting out there. Better than spending the day watching telly, plus you got to see your old friend Sammy the seal!

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:18 pm

cannot speak for everywhere but we catch on lures all through the year here on the Beara. John Angles had a 8-9 bass about a month ago on a shallow diver in two feet of water and i have had fish to 4lbs through the winter.
Clean water is important though.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 pm

I've also read somewhere that Kerry is one of the better counties to try earlier in the year, (roughly the same neck of woods as the Beara I suppose). I'm not speaking from experience, maybe some of the Kerry lads could confirm or deny!

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:24 pm

friends catching fish in kerry as I speak -

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Jim. You can send over the limo, I'm itching for some Kerry bassing!

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Tried today with lures and bait from a usually productive East Cork rock mark on the coming tide for a few hours but didn't have a nibble. Was hoping for an early pollock.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:11 am

was out this evening bit cold water clarity was good and no weed think the swell was a bit to much though no fish :evil:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm

tried a spot in nth clare saturday, not a sausage - bit of weed knocking round so the lure action wasnt great

heard of a few got on lures south of lahinch...

theres a few taking lug at the moment so it shouldnt be too long until they are on the lures