Pollock on SP's

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Heading to donegal at the weekend - have a few marks off rocks where i have had pollock on rag. I recently got a new light spinning set up and want to do some pollock bashing on sp's in donegal. Any advice / tips on targeting what the restraunts are now calling Colin? :) Regards,

PS - all depending on the weather!! :S fingers x'd

Conor.

Re: Pollock on SP's

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:19 pm

hi i remember there being posts up here from donegal - around this time last year for pollack - so you could be in luck

do a search maybe someone else will remember the post im on about - nearly sure they got a few on lures

good luck

Pollock on SP's

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Cheers corbyeire!

I tried doing a search but didn't get much of a result. I fished this particular Mark about 9 months ago and got a lovely pollock on the retrieve of a three hook flapper with a 6oz lead. Still gave a huge scrap on heavy rod and tackle! So I think lure fishing on light gear would be serious craic! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:18 am

I was in cork last year and fishing for pollock with light tackle and it was awesome sport rods getting bent double trying to stop them going to the kelp.

Cant wait for the summer again.!

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 pm

immunecfg wrote:Cant wait for the summer again.!

Second that! Had great craic this summer spinning for Pollock down Wexford. Found a little tide minnow lure the most affective.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi daminim

This is obviously too late for the trip you mention but for future reference it might be useful.

I fish SP's and lures for Pollack regularly here in Donegal. I haven't been out recently for a variety of reasons so can't comment particularly on what it is like this time of year but I normally have reasonable success with an average of 4 fish an outing - anything from 1 - 5 lb. Had one great morning last July when I came back with 5 Pollack with 2 of them @ 4lb and 1 @ 5 lb. this was over a 3hr period. I rarely fish longer than that.

Anyway the place I am on about is St.Johns Point. I always fish up there because it is only 15 mins away from me. If you do go up at any time the fishing is all on the west of the point as the east is basically inaccessible. Drive all the way up to the top of the point as far as the little bay way at the top, called the coral beach, drive past the beach over the cattle grid and about 30-40 yds up you can park on the left and from there you have access to really good rock marks all the way down to the bottom of the point.