Cork icebreaker

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 pm

First session in Cork and first lure caught Bass, (excluding stripers back in the day!). After four or so sessions in South Dublin and some nice sport with Pollack and Mackerel but not a sniff of a bass, Cork (no surprise there!) has produced the goods. This greedy looking four pounder obliged and accepted my Feed Shallow. I had at least one other decent fish follow a Zonk to the water’s edge.

The location was from the shore in Cork Harbour. I should imagine most people with transport would give the actual venue a miss since there is so much great fishing in the general area. However, this particular spot satisfied my prerequisite of being accessible by public transport!

So thanks again to those of you who responded to my previous threads regarding moving to Cork and indeed my thread on lure bassing in Dublin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cork icebreaker

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:58 pm

A real ball of silver, beautiful fish. What kind of distance would u cast a lure like that, cause they are not really heavy?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. The lure is the well known (if expensive!) Tackle House Feed Shallow 128, in number 11 mullet colour. http://www.bass-masters.co.uk/tackle-ho ... -110-p.asp. Henry’s Tackle in Dublin also sell them. If you do a search under feed shallow on here I'm sure there will be plenty of info available from more experienced anglers than me.

It only weighs 18.5 grams, but casts a fair old distance, at least on rods purposely designed for plugging. There are however, plenty of other less expensive lures out there that will do the job, again try a search on here.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Well done, that is a lovely looking bass there. I was out myself today ineast Cork plugging for a couple of hours but had no joy. Congrats on finding a productive spot that is accessible by the public transport system too!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:39 am

its great when a plan comes together and a bass spot with public transport - perfect!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks a mill for that guys, as it happens I got out there again yesterday. Two mackerel and four bass, the smallest bass was 3 lbs with the remaining three all between 4.5 and 5lbs. The first fish took a Feed Shallow and the rest opted for a Zonk. They were really on the feed, I reckon there was a good chance of catching some more but I had to move on. Regardless, at least I’ve got my ‘Bass fix' in grand style!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:27 pm

Divisadero wrote:Thanks a mill for that guys, as it happens I got out there again yesterday. Two mackerel and four Bass, the smallest Bass was 3 lbs with the remaining three all between 4.5 and 5lbs. The first fish took a Feed Shallow and the rest opted for a Zonk. They were really on the feed, I reckon there was a good chance of catching some more but I had to move on. Regardless, at least I’ve got my ‘Bass fix' in grand style!

great catches and welcome to Cork...

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Very nice...glad you found a decent spot :wink:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:40 pm

4 bass in one lure session! Fair play to you that is some haul :)

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:49 pm

That is a beautiful fish id nearly trade the misses in for one like that :lol:

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Well done on finding a productive spot, the feed shallows do really well on the south coast as well as the tide minnows, plenty of bass falling to the zonk gataride too.. again well done on the silver fella's 8) 8)

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 am

thanks divi :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 pm

nice bass :D
hoping to catch a few myself on saturday night

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:59 pm

well done!

out of interest what sort of a depth are you fishing with the zonk (also what colour patern) ? what conditions, depths, sea bottoms, water clarity etc etc do these work best for?

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 pm

The Zonk I used was the Gataride 120 Hi-Pitch in the Iwashi colour, it runs at approx 3-4 feet. I usually fish it on a more or less straight retrieve whilst varying the speed slightly, I also pause the lure every so often. I'm sure others fish it differently. It vibrates strongly so should in theory work well in murky water, (I have to date only used it in relatively clear water). Be advised though that the plastic lip/bib on this lure is prone to breaking. This tip on Youtube helps a lot and almost eliminates this issue
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k_8Mcq2C3xY, although the bib can still break if it flips upwards. I also have the 'original' Zonk 120 it vibrates almost as strongly as the Gataride version and is far more robust. I shall only purchase these in the future due to the bib issue on the Gataride, it fishes at around the same depth but suspends rather than floats when you stop retrieving.