RE: Lure Rod & Reel

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:30 am

OK, after a year or so Bait fishing where catch rates & weights have been relatively small, I have made the decision to try some lure fishing for some bass.But i need a rod and reel first! SO basically I am in the market for a new rod and reel. I have been doing some research online and through sea angler magazine. From this, looks like i should be looking at: 8 foot medium/stiff rod 10-40gms.

I have looked at the teklon range and a few others. Im really confused, as a complete novice bass angler - i dont know what to buy or how much to spend.

any advice / pointers for shops to go to etc would be great. I am a beliver in buying through an irish dealer - so the more internet competitive the better. I am based in dublin but travel alot with work. Oh and if anybody has any offers on decent second hand Rods & or reels - let me know as i am also looking at second hand tackle in good working order.

Regards,
Conor

Re: RE: Lure Rod & Reel

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:19 am

Hay mate....take a gander at this thread if you hav'nt seen it already, im in the same boat as yourself! :)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30632

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Conor,you wont go wrong with either of them rods,im using the teklon 802ml myself paired with the stradic 3000 and cant find a single fault with it,its so easy to work a varity of lures and can stop a good fish in its tracks no bother,light as a feather too, so long sessions are no bother,
heard the rookie is the business aswell from a few lads,its a few quid cheaper too.have a look in southside angling,they have both rods in stock

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi Dave - i just seen this Post - looks like myself and yourself have the exact same set up! delighted with it!! :) had 2 bass on it first time out aswell which was nice :) although the reel has packed in - so sending it back this week - pain in the you know what! But im happy out with the rod - amazing.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Have a read of this as well...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28983

went with the savagear in the end and it is really good. You can try it out when I give you that lift to Waterford :D

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Viper beat me too it! :lol: Have a look at the new 8ft Savagear XLNT Bushwhacker rod. I think it is a terrific wee rod which is why I reccommended it in the first place in the thread he has given you a link to above. It is fantastic value for money as well and when matched up with a good balanced reel it makes for a good quality peice of kit 8)

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Viper wrote:Have a read of this as well...

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28983

went with the savagear in the end and it is really good. You can try it out when I give you that lift to Waterford :D

Good man viper, great stuff! weve no excuses now - bass bass bass!! :) ill send you on a wee pm regarding waterford!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Daminim,just replaced the 3000 stradic with the 4000 rarenium with diawa 8 strand braid,very happy! I could swear this real was made for the tecklon!

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am

Hi Dave - Yea im thinking of getting something bigger than a 3000, did you get the tournament braid - flash looking bit of kit - would match the mental pink colour of the rod nicely ;)

Im going to go into southside with the stradic to see whats up with it - went quite lumpy after the first session. But i think ill just get a new reel!

@Kerry1 - thanks for all the advice - sorry i didnt take you up on your reccomendations, im a teklon freak now :D :D :D

Conor

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:12 am

daminim wrote:

@Kerry1 - thanks for all the advice - sorry i didnt take you up on your reccomendations, im a teklon freak now :D :D :D

Conor

No problem Conor your welcome. My mate has the Teklon and I have had a chuck with it, it is a very nice rod too, good choice, enjoy 8)

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 am

I was also looking out for a spinning rod and after reading here have gone for the savagegear bushwhacker. Looking forward to getting out over the weekend with it.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 am

SwordsBeginner wrote:I was also looking out for a spinning rod and after reading here have gone for the savagegear bushwhacker. Looking forward to getting out over the weekend with it.

Excellent choice SwordsBeginner, enjoy. It is a fantastic wee rod in my opinion. I look forward to hearing what you think of it yourself once you have tried it.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm

I have the bushwhacker aswell but need a reel what would be best suited to this rod...

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:29 pm

There are alot of different types of reels out there on the market available to buy and choosing what one suits you best is down to your own personal choice and preference.
A 4000 series reel might be ideal for you but depending on what one you look at or buy, you may find it abit too heavy when put with the rod. So I would reccommend that you bring your rod into a tackle shop and test out a few reels that are there with your rod and see how each feels for you. The reel that I have and use is the Shimano 4000 Exage RB and I find it great. It feels well balanced on the rod, not too heavy and is very smooth and a joy to use and fish with.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Conor,yeah got the tournament braid...funky stuff. i found the 3000 stradic a well balanced reel for the rod but the 4000 rarenium is actually lighter than the stadic 3000 and has a lot more power to handle that monster when u hook him.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:11 am

I assume the XLNT is an updated version of the Bushwhacker. Anyone know what's different in the new model?

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm

what do ye think of the shimano catana spinning rods?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Junior - the Catana seems to be a popular choice for the salmon or trout angler. I reckon you would be better off looking at Rods that are designed specifically for use with soft plastics and lures such as shallow divers/poppers. I was thinking about the catana, but for an extra €30 odd euro (i think) you can get your hands on a bushwhacker or something similar. I seen southside have a new rod in stock, the name i cannot remember but it is red and i mistook it for a tenyru. about 8/9 foot, and stiff. had a hold of it and it felt lovely, maybe a tiny bit heavy. But definatley worth looking at - anyone know the name of them??

Or if you want - get your hands on the teklon concept - bought mine about 2 months ago and im absolutley in love with it. Need to match it up with the correct reel which i think will be the rarenium by shimano. Its a cracking rod for the money. (145)

Conor

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:19 pm

thanks for the help conor

RE: Lure Rod & Reel

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Was in southside today the rod in question was made by HART

Conor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk