Best for mack' ?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:00 am

Hi Guys

Simple question..... what do you find catches most Mackerel ? It's this time of year I like to deviate from hunting big fish to stocking my freezer !

Cheers

Re: Best for mack' ?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Silver feathers would be my default. Then again one day last year on a boat the silver took nothing while bleeding glow worms took quite a few. If you float fish another sliver of mackerel that works very well. This year I have been using spinners and lures instead of the feathers and I have had them on Dexter wedges, german sprats and even a rapala plug that was being aimed at a bass. If I was on a boat now I'd have silver feathers on the end of my line.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 am

Feathers or hokkais works best for me. If you are just looking to fill the freezer get a string with as many hooks on as possible and when you hit them you'll load up in quick order. Some stings of feather have up to 8 on them?

for a bit of fun try a spinner like a german sprat on light tackle, a big mackerel will give it an awful bang and you never know what else will take it.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:04 pm

In my experience, when the macks are around and hungry they take almost anything including even a bare hook at times!

For added kicks, why not try making up your own? Over the years I've made them up from such things as strips cut from the silvery bags frozen vegetables come in, and even old bits of Xmas tinsel. Recently in Easons i got a reel of silver cord for gift wrapping. A few inches of this whipped onto hooks with red thread make a passable sandeel imitation, and the macks - and pollock - love them.