Re: Recommend me a Bass rod

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Having been very positive about the Cormoran in my last post I dropped into a tackle shop after work on Friday to buy a spinner or two. I left with a new rod and reel of course :roll:
It's a Sonik 8 foot light spinning three piece. I paired it up with a very nice small shakespeare reel with 12lb braid. I've been out twice with it and have caught 4 small pollock and two Mackerel over the 1lb mark. The pollock gave a great fight on the light gear, so much so that i was concerned that anything bigger might cause damage but the two big macs were no problem. I'd love to get stuck into a bass on this kit.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Stephen8wood wrote:Having been very positive about the Cormoran in my last post I dropped into a tackle shop after work on Friday to buy a spinner or two. I left with a new rod and reel of course :roll:
It's a Sonik 8 foot light spinning three piece. I paired it up with a very nice small shakespeare reel with 12lb braid. I've been out twice with it and have caught 4 small pollock and two Mackerel over the 1lb mark. The pollock gave a great fight on the light gear, so much so that i was concerned that anything bigger might cause damage but the two big macs were no problem. I'd love to get stuck into a Bass on this kit.

I have been looking at a couple of the Sonik rods myself Stephen and have been considering buying one so it's good to hear what someone who has actually got one and who has used it thinks of it.
I hope you do get a bass on it sometime, you'll get some great fun and crack with it then I can tell ya 8)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm

Settled on the Savagear Bushwhacker in the end... now anyone want to recommend a reel to put on it :D

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:03 am

Viper wrote:Settled on the Savagear Bushwhacker in the end... now anyone want to recommend a reel to put on it :D

Excellent choice Viper, enjoy 8)
How much are you willing to spend on the reel for it?

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 pm

No idea, but nothing too expensive. I always fish light so something suited to 8lb line I guess...

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:12 pm

ok £137.98 through veals for the 8.5ft rod matched with a shimano exage 4000 real... good deal?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Id go for the 8" version if possible. Im also looking for a reel to go with mine, but trying to get a decent 2nd hand reel :wink:

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Viper wrote:ok £137.98 through veals for the 8.5ft rod matched with a shimano exage 4000 real... good deal?

I have the Shimano 4000 Exage RB reel Viper. It's a very nice reel that I would happily reccommend to you. The deal above from veals is a good one, the only thing is that I think that the 8ft rod might be better for you instead of the 8.5ft and I say this simply because it's the one I have and I know how it feels and what it is like to fish with. It's totally up to you though, everyone is different and the longer rod might be o.k for you.You could try and pick both the reel and the 8ft rod up separately, at the end of the day the choice is yours. Good luck and let me know what you end up with.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Had a look at the 8ft in Southside over the weekend and felt it was a little short for me, they couldn't get in the 8.5 ft though due to lack of stock, hense the look online.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Viper wrote:Had a look at the 8ft in Southside over the weekend and felt it was a little short for me, they couldn't get in the 8.5 ft though due to lack of stock, hense the look online.

Sounds like the deal in veals would be worth your consideration then Viper - both rod and reel are a good combo and that's quite a reasonable price they quoted you for them both 8) If you can find them cheaper else where on line or whatever then fair play to you, happy hunting! :D

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Rod and reel arrived yesterday, less than 20 hours after ordering (many thanks Veals, and some service!) Will be giving it a go this weekend in dungarvan so keep an eye out for the report on tuesday!
Also boughta Daiwa Crossfire 4000 reel, only £25 but looks and feels very good.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 am

not bad viper, im waiting on reel too tho i am getting a shimano exage 4000

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 am

Viper wrote:Rod and reel arrived yesterday, less than 20 hours after ordering (many thanks Veals, and some service!) Will be giving it a go this weekend in dungarvan so keep an eye out for the report on tuesday!
Also boughta Daiwa Crossfire 4000 reel, only £25 but looks and feels very good.

Nice one Viper, I'm glad that you got sorted. Have fun with your new toys, I look forward to reading the report to hear what you think of the rod and reel 8) Enjoy and go easy on them bass with your new lethal weapon in your hand! :lol: