What are the best months for N.W Donegal coast ?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi Guys

I was new to the sea here last year but I can't remember what the best time was for fishing ? I am asking because it seems to me that catching at the moment is really 'slow' not to say very frustrating. The last fish I caught was June 9th, and I've been out just about every day since without barely a touch. Last summer I was catching quite a lot of fish but I didn't keep a diary so don't know exactly when it was.

I would have thought now would be a good time, warm weather, mid summer... but there is really not much doing ? I have tried surface lures, sub-surface lures and just about every SP I have in my box including jerk baits and SP's with tail action.

What are the best months usually ?

Re: What are the best months for N.W Donegal coast ?

Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:39 am

Hi the pollack, coalfish and mackeral all semm to be a bit later and so far quite a bit smaller than last year, I have been getting quite a lot of 'plucks' at my lures any time I get on the rocks and if I change to a much smaller lure or even small feathers I seem to land the smaller fish, nothing over 1lb on a lure this year yet, but plenty about when fishing the bottom. hopefully the size of fish taking lures will improve pretty soon.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:12 am

That seems to be the story round here too, everybody's complaining about small fish or no fish (except the macks). :( Never found June a great month for pollock, it might be they're away spawning or offshore chasing sprat shoals (loads around this year) - well fed fish are hard to hook up. Better fishing from July onwards, spend the waiting time floatfishing for wrasse. 8)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 pm

I got a nice big wrasse yesterday on a sp, about 3lb. Had a few plucks from what I would say were small fish. Other than that still nothing. Off out again for this evenings HT

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Chinese saying: a day spent fishing (even a blank) doesn't count against your allotted life span. Fish more, live longer :D