Re: Anyone catching ?

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Congrats on the Bass Brian....

Mick

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:12 pm

flynnboy wrote:the fish were feeding, they were visible plain as day.

On the surface? What kind of fish - mullet maybe? If so, lures wouldnt have been much use to you right enough....

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:08 pm

On the surface? What kind of fish - mullet maybe? If so, lures wouldn't have been much use to you right enough....

Nah. Pollack, without doubt. I actually saw 2 of them launch themselves clean out of the water. It's not really a Mullet mark. They were Pollack.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:30 am

OK. In cirumstances like that, nearly time to crack out the flies 8)

In simpler bygone times, we used to make up a very crude yoke called a "cuddy fly" - bits of feather and white wool wound onto a 2/0 hook to roughly resemble a moth. This is flapped over the surface on calm warm evenings when lots of insects are about. Feeding pollock will come several feet out of the water and take it on the way down - an experience you'll never forget! :D :D

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 am

Hugo wrote:OK. In cirumstances like that, nearly time to crack out the flies 8)

I did ! As I said in my earlier post I threw everything at them including fly fishing.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Pollock do this from time to time, when nothing will catch them cause ther stuffed with sprat & Sandeels but still chasing after them & playing near the surface.
I seen last year on calm evenings you could see them on the bottom moving slowely & nothing would tempt them, then following few days they were on the feed agin, just keep trying on filling tide.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 pm

We were fishing in Rosslare last sunday and caught a lovely bass and 2 plaice.

Hoping for another tomorrow night if the weather is good.