Anyone catching ?

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Guys

I last caught a fish on the 9th of June. I've been out every day since and have not even had a touch, despite good high tides and a new moon . This is getting very frustrating :|

How are you doing ?

Re: Anyone catching ?

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:26 pm

i should be shot as ive only tried once this season - i admire your persistance

i would have expected the boys down south to be leading the line at this stage

all my eggs are going in the basket for next weeekend - when i hope to score my first of the year - the the new moon and tides then in the evenings - should bode well for something in galway bay

good luck at it

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:53 am

Pollock off the rocks? Not many around here yet and those that are dont seem to be in taking mood, everybody's complaining about follows with no hook-ups. :(

Personally never found June much good for pollock, I suspect the fish go hunting offshore when the sprat appear, next month will be better. Loads of good sized macks in close this year though.
Last edited by hugo on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:21 am

I've had several nice 3lbers in recent weeks and a number of smaller fish, and had one even break my line a couple of weeks back. I've been looking for the Mack and have caught only 2 but I've heard of others catching plenty. I've also seen some lively water action with fleeing sprats but I've yet to make a decent catch with them. I'm off out later to try again :P

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:43 am

When you do contact the macks, have a go with one of your trout rods and a single small lure. Electrifying! :D

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Just got back from a short trip and lost a 2-3lb Pollack which fell off just as I was bringing it in :x

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Hugo wrote:When you do contact the macks, have a go with one of your trout rods and a single small lure. Electrifying! :D

I got a 3lbs pollack on my light spinning rod which was loaded with 20lb braid amazing fight i thought it was going to be a monster but when i got it out i couldnt believe the fight it gave...awesome fish!

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:11 pm

first spinning session and a result - small schoolie but a start - was trying surface lures but the SW was playing havoc and the occosional weed

went for the subsurface - more weed - but the simple lure in the finish paid off
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Well done Corbyeire that a nice bass. Iv been out a good few times around the north Dublin area and havnt managed to get one. Im starting to wonder am i wasting my time when I could be fishing for something else :!:

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:05 pm

hi ian,

the spot i got this fish is a mark where i actually saw them there myself when i was bait fishing one time and then tried it again with lures

you can try the process of elimination HW, LW, dawn, dusk - but nothing beats knowing if a run of fish has started

even the old CFB information is pretty good - if it says they were there one time then its a place to start

the key at the moment is whether they will take the lures and not just the baits - have any been caught recently on the baits in the area your trying? - IF they are there then it should be a matter of time before they start to take lures with the temp rising

those lads down south have it awful easy!

some of the ground around north dublin screems bass

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 pm

beautiful fish corbyeire, well done

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:06 am

A lot of weed at the mo

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 am

corbyeire wrote:the key at the moment is whether they will take the lures and not just the baits - have any been caught recently on the baits in the area your trying? - IF they are there then it should be a matter of time before they start to take lures with the temp rising

I fish a very similar looking spot round here where I caught a 7lb bass in late July two years ago. I've seen them regularly since then but they're ignoring any lure I throw at them. Looking back thru my boat fishing records, sea temp was 16.5C when I got the 7lber, it didnt get up that far last "summer" at all, and yesterday it was 14.4C. Wonder is there a critical temp point when they switch from bait to lures?

And having lived in West Waterford, yes it was a whole lot easier....... :(

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 pm

i wouldnt know what the ideal temperature would be - but in the inner bay here in galway for baits and lures they only ever seem to catch bass later in the year - june on

ive seen them in april and they dont seem to feed in these areas - at least not the baits i have on offer

further to that down the coast 30km in north clare and the winter time seems to be best for them - maybe local behaviour becomes more important - maybe these are not resident and they are making their way back north with the increased water temp over the spring time :?:

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 pm

This is really getting so frustrating :|

I was out again last evening and you would have thought it perfect for catching. HT of 3.8 @ 8.30pm or so. Warm, little breeze off-shore and fish clearly rising on a calm sea.

I threw everything at them, fly-fishing, sp's with tail action like shads, jerk baits like slug-go's, Xlayers, sub-surface lures, surface poppers, Mac' rigs, the lot. I went through everything in my box and didn't even get one pull :roll:

Sheesh, I gave up after 2 hours :cry:

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the help Corbyeire, I havent seen or heard of any bass caught at this spot yet but heard there was a fair few caught last summer. Im heading out again at the weekend hopefully il at least get a follow :roll: cheers man

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Plenty of big Pollock, mackerel & Coalies around some marks in Co,Sligo :D feeding on hugh shoals of Sprat & Sandeels in the past few days, got a good few early yesterday morning!! Cant wait to get out agin!!

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:10 pm

FB

take a look at barometric readings for the last few days

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Barometric readings? :?:

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:09 pm

JimH wrote:FB

take a look at barometric readings for the last few days

Could you perhaps explain the significance please Jim ? As I said the fish were feeding, they were visible plain as day. If they were feeding what does barometric pressure do to stop them taking my offerings ?