Advice on some sures??

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm looking some advice on some lures to start me off. Ive not really fished with lures except soft jellys and spinners. I'm looking into the greater side of lure fishing as i want to start fishing with this method as well as bait fishing.

I will fish mainly rocky/kelpy ground so i thinking diving lures and subsurface lures will do the trick?
Am i correct or is there anything else i can use for this type of ground?

Just looking some adivice lads.
Cheers.

Re: Advice on some sures??

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:35 pm

i wouldnt go using diving lures in the rocky kelpy stuff at the start it will cost you a fortune - use cheap spinners to start off with

check your ground out at low water and see what the depths are

if you find a few gulleys where you could use the diving lures then try

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:12 pm

The place i'm talking about is blackhead lighthouse in whitehead co.antrim.

I dont think ive ever seen the water low enough to see the ground, i know its full of kelp and a tackle graveyard.
But if I will use heavy breaking strain that will enable me to pull free 8/10 times.

Ive used normal spinners and wedges without much luck, i'm trying to enter into the real side of lure fishing now and enjoy that side.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 pm

well heres something you should definitely try then

get some of the rubber fish or jelly worms that you place the hook into yourself - if they are lead heads its a bonus - when you thread them onto the hook leave the hook point just under the rubber surface - that way it will barely catch on anything only a bite with expose it - cast them out onto the ground behind the weed - then reel them in

if they are not catching the weed etc they are not low enough when your spinning - the pollack like to ambush they see the lure going over their heads a few times and then they cant resist

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 pm

thanks for that tip mate, great stuff i will try that for sure.
Anyone else wana add some info for me?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:56 pm

just another point seen as your talking about pulling from snags - perhaps use match hooks on your lures - they will bend out or break if snagged badly and then at least you get your lure back

another point not related to the lures for pollack - just if your not having much luck spinning - move to floating or ledgering - youd be surprised how this can turn them on the feed

then try baited feather - the scent and the visuals combined together

youll have to get those pollack out of there now!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Have a read here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13959

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:27 am

Try the blue 4 inch sidewinder, brilliant for pollack over kelp and usually not too bad for snagging up. They will hit this like a steam train on a steady retrieve. Good luck.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:44 pm

The new bloodhead is working absolute wonders over this side of the water, got to be worth a try by you as same sort on conditions! we are getting plenty of decent bass on them and pollack.

:D