Braid Confusion !

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 am

Hi Guys

I was recently using PP 10lb test 0.15 Braid and decided to go up to 20lb test. I have just received my new 20lb test Braid from Veals and I was surprised to find that the line I have just bought looked as thin as the 10lb PP Braid I already have. When I checked they are both 0.15 Braid..... How can they both be 10lb and 20lb test while they are the same dia' @ 0.15 ? Is there some mistake somewhere or can this be correct ? Veals PP 10lb test is 0.10 but the PP 10lb I already have is 0.15 - just like Veals 20lb test....... :?

Re: Braid Confusion !

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Braids have got much thinner for their rated BS in the last couple of years, maybe your original 10lb was an older batch.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Just want to add to what Hugo already said.

Firstly braid doesn't have a diameter :!: Although adverts will say so, braided line being braided is not round and over the time of usage will become less round even if manufacturer was trying to make it as round as possible.

Secondly, according to what you are saying you comparing PP braid with other brand. Don't want to say that PP is the best of them all, but there are significant differences with technology between manufacturers. Certainly PP is reputable for being one of the thinnest lines on the market.

Thirdly, diameter is never equal on the entire length of the line and that is true also for mono line. Figure you see on the spool or advert is average/estimated value only – and that’s why breaking strain is the figure to look after not diameter.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Tomaszek wrote:Just want to add to what Hugo already said.

Firstly braid doesn't have a diameter :!: Although adverts will say so, braided line being braided is not round and over the time of usage will become less round even if manufacturer was trying to make it as round as possible.

Secondly, according to what you are saying you comparing PP braid with other brand. Don't want to say that PP is the best of them all, but there are significant differences with technology between manufacturers. Certainly PP is reputable for being one of the thinnest lines on the market.

Thirdly, diameter is never equal on the entire length of the line and that is true also for mono line. Figure you see on the spool or advert is average/estimated value only – and that’s why breaking strain is the figure to look after not diameter.

Thing is we are talking about 2 lines from the same manufacturer that are contradicting each other.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Ok – sorry for my misunderstanding.
To put it another way. I wouldn’t worry about braid diameter at all as it’s irrelevant really. If you suspecting that wrong item were sold to you I would suggest doing simple test for breaking strength – which, since we are talking about double the strength between lines, will be ten times more reliable than trying to measure the diameter of the lines.