Do you fish a low high tide ?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Guys

I was wondering..... I don't normally go and fish when the HT is less than about 3.5. This is not for any good reason other than it seems like there's not much water there ?

I have written off fishing next week because the HT's are only around 3.0. and less.

Am I missing out on fishing ? Are the fish there regardless of the height of the HT ?

I'd be really interested to hear what the craick is on that.

Cheers

Re: Do you fish a low high tide ?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Depends on what your after, i fish in a spot for bass where the most action is at low water when maybe theres a foot of water maybe less its as the tide turns the fish start to come straight away, i fish when ever i can no matter what the state of the tide...so get out and fish every tide :lol: :lol:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Hmmm. I would love to think I have it wrong here because I hate to think I'm missing out on fishing. I guess I am going on my longer years experience as a Salmon angler on rivers which is to say that if the water is low forget it.

Looking forward to more responses.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:43 am

What are you targetting and what kind of mark?

Results are usually better with the higher tides at new moon/full moon, but there are still fish there in between.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:13 am

Hugo wrote:What are you targetting and what kind of mark?

Results are usually better with the higher tides at new moon/full moon, but there are still fish there in between.

Pollack off the rocks

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Flynnboy wrote:Pollack off the rocks

From now on, they could be around on any high tide, big or small, but as I said new moon/full moon are often better. Weather conditions probably more important than tide height - dull, sultry, with a small breeze my favourite.

Try this: get a plastic container, punch a good few holes in it, put a few stones in the bottom, fill it with chopped up mack guts or similar fish bait, tie to a length of cord and lower it over the side of your mark. After half an hour or so any fish in the locality should be cruising in range of your cast.

That said, not many pollack showing yet on the shore marks round here.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 am

Hugo wrote:
Flynnboy wrote:Pollack off the rocks

Try this: get a plastic container, punch a good few holes in it, put a few stones in the bottom, fill it with chopped up mack guts or similar fish bait, tie to a length of cord and lower it over the side of your mark. After half an hour or so any fish in the locality should be cruising in range of your cast.

That's a novel idea ! Anyone else tried that ? I don't think it can work for me because I don't stay in one spot too long.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:27 pm

flynnboy wrote:That's a novel idea ! Anyone else tried that ? I don't think it can work for me because I don't stay in one spot too long.

You will if the fish are coming to you instead of vice versa. 8) "Minimum effort, maximum return". Give it a go...

Also works for wrasse, but the bait then should be chopped limpets and shore crab... 8)

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Well I guess my question about fishing a low HT is worth while because I have just got back from a 3.0 with a lovely 3lb Pollack I got after 15 minutes fishing :mrgreen: All of those low HT's I missed !

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Nice one, better than any answer you would have got here :wink:

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:27 pm

My best time is 2 to hours either side of high tide regardless of level.