lures

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:04 pm

can anyone tell me what they did the best all rounder lure is?
thanks

Re: lures

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Connolly,

The answer to your question all depends on what you are planning on fishing for and what the ground is like where you are going to be fishing from?
What species/fish are you trying to target? And is it from a boat or from the shore?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:42 pm

well its a bit weedy and i would be mainly fishing for mackeral and the odd pollack
shore

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:45 pm

A Kilty would be a good all rounder....

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:51 pm

James Barry wrote:A Kilty would be a good all rounder....

what would be the best weight of lure to use on a calm light windy day and still get some distance

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 pm

or try a Bass wedge with the blue flash. both this and the kilty should get you a few fish.

i've found the small green or blue ones that are in a lot of shops good too and their only about 1.50. dont know if theres a name on them

what would be the best weight of lure to use on a calm light windy day and still get some distance

that depends on yor rods weight rating. something around the middle or slightly heavier than it says on the rod, as in if the rod is rated 20-50g, try a 30ish gram spinner

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:03 pm

The good ould german sprat still does the job for what your targetting,but kiltys are deadly also on their day

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:07 pm

that depends on yor rods weight rating. something around the middle or slightly heavier than it says on the rod, as in if the rod is rated 20-50g, try a 30ish gram spinner[/quote]

my rod rating is 20-50g i normally use a 28g lure but iam new to lure fishing. mainly fish shore and boat but every summer id do a bit of spinning but only had one lucky fish take my lure so far so i need all the help i can get
thanks

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:08 pm

I think a chug bug is well regarded has a great all rounder for bass, seem to be very popular with folk on here!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:16 pm

connolly wrote:

I generally use a 32g I think you can get smaller but not to sure, will catch you pollack, mack and bass,, see here http://www.henrystackleshop.com/index.p ... 746eaacdff

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:45 pm

James Barry wrote:
connolly wrote:

I generally use a 32g I think you can get smaller but not to sure, will catch you pollack, mack and Bass,, see here http://www.henrystackleshop.com/index.p ... 746eaacdff

ill have to try and get a few different lures and try them out
last year i used an abu toby and all i got out of that was a lance and a small pollack
has anyone out there had any luck on a toby

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 am

Ya use tobys all the time, have had macks, pollack to 4lbs, bass to 9 lbs (not me), and coalfish to 2lbs, the blue/silver one is the best also the black/silver one at dusk can be lethal!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

Have had a lot of sucess with the Toby Lure (Silver\Red Fin) pattern, I use a 28gm lure so I can get some distance
from the shore when needed,It's probably the cheapest lure I have in my collection but the only one to date that
has constantly caught me the bigger fish this year.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 am

I'm also a big fan of the Toby lure as an all rounder. I have caught mackerel, pollock, bass and flounder all on tobies. After buying the more expensive Abu Garcia Tobies and losing a rake of them in weed / rocks I now just buy much cheaper, but equally good tobies for about a euro each (the hooks may not be the same quality but if you rinse in freshwater and give a quick blast of WD-40 after a session they'll last much longer).

Like wilky above, I also favour the blue/silver, or plain silver tobies. Also red tobies are very effective for pollock.

Another tip is if you are in a particularly fishy spot and bringing in fish almost every cast it is a good idea to de-barb the hooks (flatten the barb with some pliers). This will make de-hooking and therefore release much easier.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:08 pm

thanks guys for all the replies ill tryb and become a better lure fisher with my knowledge now
:D :D :D :D

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm

dexter wedge has always come up trumps for me fishing for macks ,pollock etc.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:21 am

Ronnach wrote:Another tip is if you are in a particularly fishy spot and bringing in fish almost every cast it is a good idea to de-barb the hooks (flatten the barb with some pliers). This will make de-hooking and therefore release much easier.

And don't forget to let us all know where that particularly fishy spot is!!!! :lol: