whistle down the wind

Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 pm

I have had many many phone calls this Spring with one common denominator - people ask me am I catching many bass? The answer is a plain and simple no, I'm not. The reason of course is the wind, or at least the wind direction and probably its particular unceasing source and direction.

Take a look at some comprehensive data sets on the article library on www.probassfisher.com and scan down through the wind direction field for 2010. Look particularly for the frequency of the Northerly, North Easterly, easterly and even south easterly breezes. Its pretty high this Spring. You will see similar frequencies during the previous three years although not quite as intense.

This is as a result of high pressure anticyclonic weather systems forming and then remaining fixed over Ireland during Spring and early Summer. Lake and river systems are well down on water levels as a result of low rainfalls.

Now I don't fear an easterly breeze in Wexford provided it doesn't last for more than two days - then I know I'm in BIG trouble - from this simple set of data you can see how much trouble we have been in from a bass fishing perspective. So don't go blaming yourself for spending all that money on expensive gear in order to catch no fish - I'm afraid theres a lot more to it than that!

Bear in mind that these patterns exist from 2007, 2008, 2009 and now 2010 - they were all immediately followed by wet summers that broke all rainfall records - can we conclude that this trend is set to continue, who knows?

Re: whistle down the wind

Mon May 17, 2010 8:43 pm

JimH wrote:I have had many many phone calls this Spring with one common denominator - people ask me am I catching many Bass? The answer is a plain and simple no, I'm not. The reason of course is the wind, or at least the wind direction and probably its particular unceasing source and direction.

Take a look at some comprehensive data sets on the article library on http://www.probassfisher.com and scan down through the wind direction field for 2010. Look particularly for the frequency of the Northerly, North Easterly, easterly and even south easterly breezes. Its pretty high this Spring. You will see similar frequencies during the previous three years although not quite as intense.

This is as a result of high pressure anticyclonic weather systems forming and then remaining fixed over Ireland during Spring and early Summer. Lake and river systems are well down on water levels as a result of low rainfalls.

Now I don't fear an easterly breeze in Wexford provided it doesn't last for more than two days - then I know I'm in BIG trouble - from this simple set of data you can see how much trouble we have been in from a Bass fishing perspective. So don't go blaming yourself for spending all that money on expensive gear in order to catch no fish - I'm afraid theres a lot more to it than that!

Bear in mind that these patterns exist from 2007, 2008, 2009 and now 2010 - they were all immediately followed by wet summers that broke all rainfall records - can we conclude that this trend is set to continue, who knows?

I enjoyed that read Jim,
I was starting to have those confidence knocking thoughts over my last few sessions....am I doing something wrong? which would only be left to fester over the ban!
This has eased the mind somewhat.

Thanks,
Danny.

Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 pm

As insightful as always Jim, I have to say its interesting seeing the patterns like that over consecutive years but please let us have a warmer / drier summer for once this year. :lol: It's good to know that I'm not alone though in wondering what I was doing wrong and why I wasn't catching.

Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi Dan and Dave

hope all well

I caught my first Wexford bass of 2010 on the 2nd of May - one of several on a fly session - just after a period of a few days of SW's (see data) in the midst of the HP's and on a good tide - I met another chap (Tommy) and watched him land several good fish on the 1st, I think you had fish too Dan at this time - then it switched back again and has stayed Northerly and Easterly ever since.

Tough times for a lot of fishers - but thats the fun and the challenge of trying to figure it out -

lets hope for a great season after the 16th

Tue May 18, 2010 12:16 am

Interesting reading Jim, over the past month I've constantly been wondering when are these northerlies going to stop! (And it looks like they are finally coming to an end now that the 1 month break has started :) )

I have probably put in about 7/8 lure sessions in West Cork, Cork harbour and East Cork in the past 5-6 weeks without a single fish, it's some consolation to hear I'm not the only one who's been having a hard time of it..

The lure making thread in this forum has got me inspired with something to keep busy on over the next month when hopefully the water temps will be up and I might even catch a bass on a homemade lure.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 am

Great read Jim, at least I have an excuse for all those blanks :( I was reading in the Independent yesterday about this summer,according to British experts who correctly predicted last Winter's big freeze. "We're set to enjoy the heat well into late August and early September, giving us an extended bout of Summer sunshine." The BBC said the same thing last year and we all know what happened. :x I think the Bible is right "Do not put your trust in nobles, nor in the son of earthling man" .

Tue May 18, 2010 9:57 am

I've just put a posting on the blog regarding a simple rating system I use in relation to favouring days for bass fishing in Wexford. This is the data for March 1st through to May 17th.

Please bear in mind that I would consider March a difficult Month to catch bass in Wexford and April is generally not much better so my expectations are never high for these periods anyway - unless there are exceptional circumstances.

So a poor rating in March is in fact a much poorer rating than say a 2 in July - the more yellow you see in the chart the better your chances become - darker or closer to red the more it begins to deteriorate. Also local knowledge under the circumstances plays a huge role - the more knowledge of performances under various conditions the better the options - its down to experiences and decision making.

Somewhere along the line in recent months of media hype it seems that its almost impossible NOT to catch bass - there is, in my opinion an over emphasis on tackle as been the solution - there is nothing absolutely wrong with having good gear but its not a silver bullet -

This decision making regarding locations/timings/presentations is much much more likely to catch you fish than any flashy lure

Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am

Hi Lads

glad to see I'm not alone! I've had one session to date where I've been lucky enough to land some fish ( 02/05). By all accounts we are in for a good summer so I think its safe to say we can expect plenty of rain!

Jim, I've an avid follower of your blog and I've read and re read the info you've posted. Thanks for all the 'indirect' help. I've notied my catch rates increase since I began chasing bass 2 yrs ago and partly down to your posts/blog and posts from the other generous lads on this site.

Hopefully the summer turns out to be a belter

Rgs.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm very happy that the blog is proving to be of some help

I think its very important to interpret what the data is indicating and then re-apply it to your own circumstances and add your own experiences

March April May are to me traditionally difficult times for bass fishing with fly and lure on the Wexford coast. Always have been for many years.

Water Temperatures are still very low - this is normal for this time of year see the Article Directory and the Statistics for 2009 article. They may be slightly lower this year than previous years.

My expectations are low for this period normally under most circumstances - I do expect some fish but not many.

The Wind direction from the NE or E is a key factor when fishing for Bass here at any time - it is a strong negative influence in ANY circumstances - so at a normally tough time of year its making things even more so.

In July a NE/E wind will impact on your fishing BIG time for instance.

Tue May 18, 2010 3:50 pm

One thing that i took from one of your posts last year was a remark you made regarding a "weather window".
I don't have endless hours to fish as I have to work around family committments etc., Up to last year I fished willy nilly and generally blanked. But I applied this concept in the latter part of last season and thankfully it has worked for me. I tended to catch more than I blanked and hopefully after the ban it will work for me again.
I hope to do a workshop with you at some point.
Priceless Knowledge Jim, thanks.

Tue May 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Very Insightful as usual Jim. Thanks for applying the science on this one. I agree its defo the persistant northerlies and easterlies that are having the negative effect on the fish.

[quote]One thing that i took from one of your posts last year was a remark you made regarding a "weather window".
I don't have endless hours to fish as I have to work around family committments etc., Up to last year I fished willy nilly and generally blanked. But I applied this concept in the latter part of last season and thankfully it has worked for me. I tended to catch more than I blanked and hopefully after the ban it will work for me again.
I hope to do a workshop with you at some point.
Priceless Knowledge Jim, thanks./quote]

Dubred, your story sounds like mine up to the point where i went to Jim for a workshop. It really revolutionised my bass fishing and i havent looked back. It also saved my marriage!(no more "did you not catch anything again" from the wife and kids and "why do you bother with that bass fishing" anymore. or at least not as much!)
I still blank etc like us all but i dont go fishing willy nilly anymore.

Jim has an unbelievable way to explain many of the mysteries in a simple to follow manner. While he has a deep knowledge of all the "new" sexy japanese rods and lures having used them for many years and fished with experienced foreign anglers using them, he always maintains that knowledge and understanding of the tide/weather and other influences on bass is the key to success and enjoyment of our sport rather than spending money on expensive tackle. This is unlike many of the new bass fishing "experts" on the block who look to rods and lures etc.
If i was starting out again i would go on workshop with Jim and then get advice from him about tackle etc. Its defo the best money i ever spent on fishing and it will save money and time in the long run.

I think that lure or fly fishers should use the closed season to arrange a workshop and use the time to process the info in time for 16th june. You wont look back.

Thanks Again Jim