New Bass Rod & Reel (€300)

Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm

I am sure this topic has been covered to death but before I spend my cash I would appreciate any comments
on the above,having read lots of reviews I am currently leaning towards the (Teklon Concept Spin 802ML) & (Shimano Technium FB 4000) that I will probably order from Veals in the UK,

I spoke with Henry (http://www.henrystackleshop.com) this morning and he mentioned he had a (Pezon et Michel X-Spec Kayak Lure Rod) which I do not know anything about really, I guess any shop will push what ever they have stocked !!

Anyway I would appreciate your comments on the Teklon or any other bass rod I can squeeze into my budget.

Thanks in advance,

Earlsie.

Re: New Bass Rod & Reel (€300)

Fri May 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Earlsie wrote:I am currently leaning towards the (Teklon Concept Spin 802ML) & (Shimano Technium FB 4000) that I will probably order from Veals in the UK,Earlsie.

One other Rod I have been looking at is the "Sakura Rookie 8' 6''

Fri May 14, 2010 1:23 pm

Earlsie,

I actually just upgraded my lure setup recently and had a similar budget to yourself and the two rods I would suggest looking at are the Teklon Concept Spin and the Sakura Rookie. They are both modern fast actioned rods and super rods for the money. I went for the Rookie myself and am delighted with it. The Rookie is more of a dedicated plugging rod whereas as far as I know the Teklon is a bit more of an all-rounder in terms of soft plastics and that kind of thing. I think that there are both about the same sort of money. As you know Veals do the Teklon but for the Rookie, you could try MrFish (where I got mine) or possibly see if Southside could get one in for you as I think they have started to get lures and stuff in from MrFish now. As for the reel, the Techium is a grand reel but if your budget could stretch to it I'd get the Shimano Rarenium Ci4, again I think Veals stock them.

Hope that's of some help to you

Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Also have a look at the Savage Gear Bushwacker 8'6" they have them in southside,
They are very light with quality Fuji components
theres loads of reviews online about them as being great value lure rod

Fri May 14, 2010 9:28 pm

I have the rookie and would highly recommend it,I got it off Patrick Gallagher for 120euro but he seems to have gone off the radar. The technium is a great real and there is a new shimano reel which might be worth a look the rarenium.

Fri May 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi Earlsie

Can't comment on either rod but I got a Sakura Shukan last year, 8'6" Medium Heavy and its really a great rod for the money(€120). I use if for lures + plastics. Very light but well able to handle itself. The Rookie is a newer rod in the Sakura range so should be as good if not better than the shukan. The technium is a good reel but if you can strech it get any of the Shimanos in the CI4 range (Stradic / Twinpower / Rarenium). The Bushwacker is getting good reviews and a new version (XLNT) is available online (GBP70.00approx).

So much choice...goodluck!

Sat May 15, 2010 12:07 am

one thing i can say is the one support your local shops .as if you have a problem with anything they are their to help and they are supporting this site .so were ever you buy buy in your local shop.

Sat May 15, 2010 4:24 am

dilisk wrote:Patrick Gallagher for 120euro .

Dont bother with him he's completely gone I paid for a sakura Rookie and tube case before xmas and he never sent it just excuses about delayed deliverys then turned off his phone and disapeared and im sure im not the only one, so I've learnt my lesson and only buy from bricks and mortar tackle shops now at least you can bring back items if theres issues

Sun May 16, 2010 11:01 am

Ok thanks for all the great advice and recomendations,
I have decided to go with the following, had issues ordering over the web so it will be over the phone tomorrow morning.

Teklon Concept Spin 802ML (decided to go with the 8 ' over the slightly longer 8' 3'' based on a few things,)

1), Henry Gilbey Review of the shorter rod
2), I have an 11' shimano rod if I want to the extra distance with lures,
3), I'm pretty new to spinning and this rod seems geared for tighter control\ feedback on the lures, hopefully it improves my success rate.

Shimano Rarenium Ci4 3000SFA

Had not looked at this reel until 'Dave' mentioned it earlier in the thread but having had a look about on the web with reviews and what not it seems like a nice reel at a good price, I went for the 3000 over the 4000 as its lighter and I do not need the additional line capacity the 4000 offers.
I hope this reel will be well balanced with the rod I have choosen, I could not see if the reel came with a second spool which is always nice however.

Varivas Avani Sea Bass Max Power PE - breaking strain: #1.5 20lb

I have no idea really on braid to be honest so went with the above, It comes in 20lb or 15lb,

Just need to make more time now and get out spinning,

Cheers

Earlsie

Mon May 17, 2010 10:00 am

good choices there guy - enjoy -