Changing Trebles/Lure maintainence

Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 am

I'm looking to change the trebles on some chug bugs (supplied ones are huge!). Also some of last years plugs have the odd rusty hook on them.

What size hook is generally recommended for this, any tips on brands, suppliers would be handy as well.

While I'm at it how do you guys store & look after your lures.

Re: Changing Trebles/Lure maintainence

Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Whelzers

It depends on the size of the lure. if the lure is under say100mm a size 6, 100mm to 140mm i would use a size 4 treble and over 140mm i would use a size 2. It also down to how the teble looks on the lure.
i generally use owner hooks st 46bc or illex have very nice trebles too. Make sure they are saltwater and i always look for a hook that isnt too thick in terms of wire content.

Both these hooks are available in Henrys tackle shop in dublin.

In terms of keeping the lures right i try to rinse them in fresh tap water after every 4/5 trips(obviously more frequently would be better) and change any hooks that are getting very rusty. Get yourself a sharpening stone too. it will give you a bit longer out of each hook.

Henrys also stock a plastic insert for the lure box which is supposed to reduce build up of rust. i think its made by a company called lambeau. i use them and have noticed an improvement. Ring Henry or Pat on 01 8555216.

A

Thu May 13, 2010 9:45 am

Lure fisher - thanks very much. I'll drop into Henrys' at the weekend?

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 pm

The owner hooks are very good as so are the VMC hooks.