any luck with surface poppers yet?

Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

just wondering if anyone's had any luck with surface poppers yet this year? Tried a few times with no success, am wondering is it still too early in the year for them?Thanks...

Re: any luck with surface poppers yet?

Tue May 11, 2010 8:17 pm

no joy for me and the lads , keep trying

Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 am

Here's one I had a month ago on a gunfish:

Wed May 12, 2010 9:02 am

Good man! :D I'd have said the surface layers are still way too cold with all these f......n northerlies, but I forgot Cork/Cobh is in the Bahamas...... :oops: (Cool shades by the way, what are they?)

Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 am

Hugo, I have to let you know it wasn't caught in Cork, but down in the 'Kingdom.' I couldn't get over the water temps that day....it was about 14C. That's why they get so many bass, so early in the season.

The shades are a bit like welder's goggles, but they fit over my regular glasses and being polaroid, are perfect for the job.
Last edited by Pat on Wed May 12, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 12, 2010 4:24 pm

14C? I'd be surprised if it ever gets that warm up here....

Anyway, cracker of fish wherever it was caught Pat, and very fitting for a Corkman to be raiding that part of the world... :D

Just generally, when I lived in West Waterford I figured that surface lures werent much use till about July/August or so, when things were really warmed up inshore. On the other hand, you could catch with them right up to Xmas in the right conditions.

What part of the coastline you on Fishmonger?

Wed May 12, 2010 9:51 pm

thanks for the replies !!! based down in kerry, been trying the allie magnet but no joy yet. Have a good few bass caught on tobies and kiltys but all under three pound so far...seem to be gettin more seatrout than bass..

Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 pm

fishmonger wrote: Have a good few Bass caught on tobies and kiltys but all under three pound so far...seem to be gettin more seatrout than Bass..

:shock: Well if your catchin that good other ways I wouldnt be too worried about the poppers for a while!

Sorry about the Cork/Kerry comment by the way.... :oops:

Thu May 13, 2010 10:53 am

lot of blanks involved most of the time past few weeks tbh

Thu May 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Hopefully things all round will pick up from next week when the winds swing away from north round to west/south-west.
Happy pluggin :D