sea trout question

Tue May 04, 2010 7:27 pm

hello all first time posting, have been doing alot off spinning over the last few weeks,with mixed results.the problem im having is that ive noticed quite afew sea trout following my spinners then turning off them at the last minute.so what i would like to know is what to do in this situation, ie slow down speed up . any suggestions would be very welcome.

Re: sea trout question

Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 pm

If you find you are being followed in and there turning away at the last second in the next few casts after that try stopping the spinner dead pause for a few seconds and then continue the retrieve, sea trout and bass can often take if the spinner/plug suddenly stops, at least you know the fish are there and your getting their attention!!

Wed May 05, 2010 9:28 am

jack123 wrote:hello all first time posting, have been doing alot off spinning over the last few weeks,with mixed results.the problem im having is that ive noticed quite afew sea trout following my spinners then turning off them at the last minute.so what i would like to know is what to do in this situation, ie slow down speed up . any suggestions would be very welcome.

hi jack, welcome to the site
i dont do a lot of spinning now, but when i did and i noticed the trout just following my lure, i always speeded up the retrieve, and this seamed to work, its like fly fishing, if you see a fish following then speed up the fly, this usually induces a take

Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 pm

thanks for the replys,just heading down to the spot were ive seen the trout,will let yous know how i get on

Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 am

When the fish is following the lure or spinner usually it is advisable to speed up retrieve. The theory goes that this is more natural behavior as small fish being followed by a predator usually will speed up to run to shelter. So speeding up lure swimming should trigger attack. However! Fish doesn't know about this theory and might attack the spinner or lure upon stop or even slow down. So I would suggest trying speed up a few times and if this doesn't work try stopping the lure. If this doesn't work try slowing down....

Another cause of follows without take might be that you swimming the lure too slow and fish got enough time to investigate and is just following to see what will happen without the intention to strike.

Not much helpful, I know, but I guess that's the beauty of angling, you never gonna know.

Thu May 06, 2010 11:15 am

Tomaszek wrote: I guess that's the beauty of angling, you never gonna know.

You said it Tommy :D

I use all the above tricks when occasion demands and find they work great sometimes, sometimes not. I suspect well-fed fish often go after lures etc just for the sport, like a dog chasing a cat its not going to eat.

One little con trick I've used to tempt seatrout and bass to take is to smear the lure with fish oil, or stick a cod liver oil capsule on the treble. Sometimes this gets spectacular results, other times not - as the man says, you never gonna know..... 8)

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Try speeding up retrieve or changing the direction of the lure as it is being wound in. Works in rivers so no reason it shouldnt work in the sea