Do you move around much ?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi

As many of you will know I came to this from Game Fly fishing only last year. As a fly fisherman I am constantly on the move and I guess because I'm used to that I do the same when I'm sea fishing on the rocks. I was just wondering if this is 'normal' or do you guys tend to stick to a particular mark for a good while before you move on - if you move at all ? I tend to have maybe half a dozen throws and then move on.

Re: Do you move around much ?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Always on the move from rock to rock and up and down sand banks and estuarys its the only way when fishing light with lures can"t beat it

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 pm

When lure fishing or plugging I try to cover as much of the place or area where I am fishing as I can. I'll move up and down until I either get a hit or a bite and then I would stay in that one place for a while before moving on.
I think it's good to move around, fish have tails and do swim so you have to keep on the move to reach them.
It can be hard work though, espicially if your plugging on rocks, your legs and feet can get sore quite quickly. It's even worse if you've waders on.
If your fishing on sand for example in an estuary it's not as bad and if your plugging the gear tends to be lighter anyway so your not having to carry alot of stuff with you which keeps you mobile and free to roam about.
I think you give yourself a bigger chance of catching something if you cover as much ground as you possibly can.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:23 pm

In my limited experience I have tried both and had much more success moving around. I have mainly lure fished off rocks for pollock in Donegal and drew on my experience with boat fishing that moving around to find the fish was a better tactic than waiting for the fish to come to me. Last year I covered about a mile of rugged coastline over the course of a few hours, no more than a dozen or so casts before moving on, and was rewarded with 6 pollock for my troubles. I've previously blanked in the same spots spending a couple of hours in one place before moving.

So I think I will continue my rambling, plus it keeps things interesting!

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:37 pm

flynnboy wrote: As a fly fisherman I am constantly on the move and I guess because I'm used to that I do the same when I'm sea fishing on the rocks.

Dead right. Most predatory fish move around after prey, so we have to follow suit. Some of my spots the fish visit in certain conditions/times, so I'll stay there for a bit until things change again, then move to another spot. I see people thrashing the same bit of water for hours and only catching in the time the fish are passing by. Havent got the patience for that, or the elbow... :)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Just a few minutes casting at each stop then move on, no point in trying to catch a fish that's not there.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks guys. What you have all said reassures me that my thinking is correct, I agree with everything said.

I don't know why but I haven't received any topic reply notifications from this thread.... ?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 am

I usually move about a bit as well but i may try a few different types of plugs or other lures in the same area before moving.
Just have set up ready for quick change of lures and will try one or two in an area then move on a bit and start all over again!!!!!

Hope it goes well for ya!!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 am

knowing when, where and why move - is the essence of bass fishing - its not a random process.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 am

JimH wrote:knowing when, where and why move - is the essence of Bass fishing - its not a random process.

Hi Jim

Would you sat that is exactly the same for Pollack - because up here as far as I am aware we don't have Bass - at least not in the numbers where you could say you were: 'going out Bass fishing'... ? When I go out I know I am going out Pollack fishing and perhaps get some Mack as well.

Cheers

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 am

Hi FB
Trying to understand the dynamics of bass movements and linking that to the many influences that create circumstances for you to catch them, is for me the key.

Those circumstances might mean, lets say - conditions are very tough but you know based on work that you have done that there is a strong likelihood that you will catch one fish at location 'x' for good concentrated effort - and that is the best you can do AT THAT TIME - result - based on work.

Lets say conditions are good now you also know that based on work and experience that there are many likelihoods that you will catch several fish at many different locations for a minimum of effort - thats normal summer bass fishing.

Imagine too conditions are too good and your are back to scenario number one

These movements can in some instances be generic ie most bass are caught around spring tides but there are also 'local' instances which are unique to that population of fish. Hence its not always wise to make sweeping statements. Personally, spending as much time as I do outdoors catching bass, I cannot emphasise enough the importance of realising and learning 'The conditions and the influences' - its worth more than any fancy lure or fly and its free!

And within those more difficult conditions are other decisions that you need to make like particular presentations, lure or fly type, speed of retrieve, regularity of casting or NOT. STOPPING the fly or lure more often etc , etc

A simple and one worthwhile excercise for example is watching wave refraction around a rock or a series of rocks whilst the tide is rising or falling and feeling how the wave pattern changes over a period of time and why fish would be there at one time and not the next. It moves and they move very quickly so its easy to miss but once realised......! Even in this simple scenario -wind direction, wind longevity, tidal state, tidal co-efficient, atmospheric pressure, direction of tidal flow, sun position and at least the previous 3 days conditions all play a part

I'm no pollack expert but i dont think they have the 'buccaneering' nature of bass and I suspect their movements are nowhere as dynamic or as one client calls them FFF or F...ing Fussy Fish!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:31 am

flynnboy wrote:I don't know why but I haven't received any topic reply notifications from this thread.... ?

you might have got them as e-mails and not pm's :wink:

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:39 pm

i love the mobility bass fishing requires, it feels more like hunting, or geurilla warfare :!: :D strike and move, strike and move

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 am

flynnboy wrote:Hi

As many of you will know I came to this from Game Fly fishing only last year. As a fly fisherman I am constantly on the move and I guess because I'm used to that I do the same when I'm sea fishing on the rocks. I was just wondering if this is 'normal' or do you guys tend to stick to a particular mark for a good while before you move on - if you move at all ? I tend to have maybe half a dozen throws and then move on.

oh yes it's good to move around