Heating up

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 pm

Ok so we're gradually leaving the colder months behind :roll: :roll: and getting so ever closer to some sort of return to better fishing conditions hopefully.Would now be the time to start testing the waters with some plugging.The worst that could happen is some practice of casting techniques and trying out some lures and of course loosen up my new spinning reel.When is usually the true return of form on our coastal waters for good Bass fishing,When the waters start to heat up or are Bass similar like salmon and return closer to land like clockwork to spawn inmaterial of water temps. :?:
Jay

Re: Heating up

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Might be some help here CF - www.probassfisher.com/2010/02/what-shou ... -this.html

best
Jim

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm

no harm in tryin it out now mate still a bit dirty up our way :cry: ,i got my 1st 2009 bass on the 1st of april so give it a shot 8)

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 am

Jim as always your a wealth of knowledge and a true gent :!: ,Good luck at the show on the weekend and might see you there sunday on my way back from Wex. :wink:
Thx
Jay

bigballs wrote:no harm in tryin it out now mate still a bit dirty up our way :cry: ,i got my 1st 2009 Bass on the 1st of april so give it a shot 8)

Will do Andy,Been itching for a while to get out for a bit of spinning and testing some new lures out,The water was a bit soupy in malahide this evening too .I,d say you got a few doubters catching that Bass .Enjoy the Dam. 8)

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 am

Glad to be of some help CF - I think there's also an effect in relation to increasing light levels and marine photosythentic type reactions which may be part of the equation......

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 am

JimH wrote:Glad to be of some help CF - I think there's also an effect in relation to increasing light levels and marine photosythentic type reactions which may be part of the equation......

was thinking the same myself "JIMH" :? :? :? :wink: :lol:

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 pm

JimH wrote:Glad to be of some help CF - I think there's also an effect in relation to increasing light levels and marine photosythentic type reactions which may be part of the equation......

Jim with natural light and longer days the norm from here on in and also when the clocks go forward for the last sunday of march ,Does this entice predatory fish more to feed in daylight/sunlight times rather than using the cover of darkness of winter months to feed.So what your trying to say is get the rod and lures out and fish anyway. :lol:
Thx
Jay

[/quote]was thinking the same myself "JIMH" :? :? :? :wink: :lol:[/quote]

Suspiscion haunts the guilty mind :lol:

Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:39 am

As far as I'm aware bass undergo some serious physiological changes in preparation for spawning - at this time of year. Combining this with lots of environmental impacts it can be tough for bass fishing in the south east-

What this doesnt mean is that - You cant catch them!

If the sun is shining and you're happy and comfortable by all means go fishing - and like most things in life if you spend enough time at something............

I think there is a growing trend in lure fishing at the moment to be seen 'To break the rules'. I hear it more and more often. I'm not aware of any rules as such, but through years of fishing I think we have all learned there are many generalisations that can be applied sensibly.

generally

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 am

Hi JIM just wondering do you think that the bass are spawing now and have been for the last few weeks and not during the bass ban :?: ,i have heard a few lads saying that they have caught bass at this time of year and they have been full of roe and milk.
cheers Andrew 8)

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:33 am

I think bass only relate to influences - I think they spawn when they feel the circumstances are correct in terms of temp/light/food availability/water condition - they are ready for spawning now but may not actually do so until its right in the 'bassy' world.

The original dates as regards the Bass Ban are based on a time frame when i guess it would be generally safe to assume that most Bass would more than likely spawn during this period.

Of course nature been nature and fish been fish - they will actually spawn before and after this period depending on the influences - this leads to the question and interpretation of the Bass ban period - its not wrong but its not right either for SO MANY reasons.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Interesting reading in this thread regarding bass spawning habits. I've been itching to try some spinning also and am going to try my first spinning session of the year tomorrow from a rock mark in east Cork. I'm not too optimistic about catching anything this early in the year but who knows it'll be good to get out and try.

Aside from bass, can anyone tell me is there a season for pollock or can they be caught all year round? I have a hunch that they have a similar season to bass/mackerel but I'm not so sure.