Confusion with hook sizes

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Guys

Since I started lure fishing last year I have come to grips with hook sizes simply by ordering various sizes and seeing what the differences are. Besides that being an expensive way to find out I would just like to know more precisely what the differences are - it is quite different to the salmon fly sizes I'm used to.

For example what is the difference between 1 and 1/0 - 2 and 2/0 what does the '0' denote ? And have I got it right if I say that the smaller number denotes the smaller hook in general ?
Each manufacturer seems to have a different physical size for the same hook number which doesn't help my confusion.

Thanks

FB

Re: Confusion with hook sizes

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:20 pm

hook sizes start small, say, size six, and go up in size 4,2,1,when it hits one, then you go to 1/0 and as they get bigger they go 2/0,3/0,4/0 etc, so the difference between a 1 and a 1/0 is two hook sizes,the 1. being the smallest. 0 defines zero. a flounder with a small mouth would take a 2 or 4 size hook,and a cod with a big mouth would need a 3/0 upwards.but most sea anglers would go with the theory that a small hook will catch big fish and small fish.altho i would not try to catch a cod on a size 4! :D hope this helps!

Re: Confusion with hook sizes

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

doggie3131 wrote:hook sizes start small, say, size six, and go up in size 4,2,1,when it hits one, then you go to 1/0 and as they get bigger they go 2/0,3/0,4/0 etc, so the difference between a 1 and a 1/0 is two hook sizes,the 1. being the smallest. 0 defines zero. a flounder with a small mouth would take a 2 or 4 size hook,and a cod with a big mouth would need a 3/0 upwards.but most sea anglers would go with the theory that a small hook will catch big fish and small fish.altho i would not try to catch a cod on a size 4! :D hope this helps!

Well you know that is what I thought they should do but........... the hooks I have do the opposite i.e. size 3 for example is a lot bigger than size 1 and my size 1/0 is smaller than the 1 :?: