en vogue bass rod alternative

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:03 am

Many people have mailed me looking for an alternative to the top of the range bass lure rods - the models that most people have brought from europe to fish here with myself over the years are amongst the Sakura range - these are 'accessibly' priced and yet for the dare i say it average bass angler whom is budget conscious they are more than sufficient.

Great cosmetics and good blanks in a very interesting range models like the Akita, Shukan, and even the antidote from hard to surface to soft baits - as good as any I have seen in this price range.

They have been available in europe in the bass arena for many years now and are well established with regular appearances at the european spring angling shows. www.dpsg.fr

Re: en vogue Bass rod alternative

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Linky no worky, Jim??? :?

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:17 pm

I've heard good things about those Sakura rods alright, indeed I was looking at them on a french online shop recently and they do seem quite reasonably priced, yet another thing to add to my ever growing wish list. :roll: One thing I noticed though was that the ones I was looking at anyway were a bit shorter that than what I would be used to, which I wasnt too sure about. I think I'd like to have a cast or two with a shorter rod before shelling out, if you know what I mean. Any particular one you'd recommend Jim?
Last edited by Dave on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Linky no worky, Jim??? :?

I think he might mean this one, not sure though. :?

http://www.despoissonssigrands.com/

Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Dave wrote: the ones I was looking at anyway were a bit shorter that than what I would be used to, which I wasnt too sure about. I think I'd like to have a cast or two with a shorter rod before shelling out, if you know what I mean.

How ya Dave, the shorter ones are geared more for soft plastics, to impart more percise action than longer rods.
Dont be fooled by them being short though, they will still cast a corectly weighted bit of plastic a long way.

Danny.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Dave

they are a sporting species no doubt but too often they are outgunned by 'BIG' tackle - tackle often suited to GT or sometimes salmon fishing - light small and balanced doesnt mean fish are exhausted or overplayed but the species is matched to the gear

take a look here Bill took over 20 fish to 8lbs on a 7'-02" rod - 2500 shimano tecnium and light surface lure 12 grammes casting 45- 55 yards. The above rods are similar in their abilities, distance is often not a reqirement! Tell me i spend most of my time fly fishing within 90 feet.....

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/06/cl ... odays.html

a very pleasant experience

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Jim,
Which one of the Shukans would take your fancy?

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Pat

Sorry ‘bout broken links there -

The model that I like and one that I have seen quite often in the shukan range is the SHS 862MH – at 8’-6” it has a casting dynamic of 15- 40 which is a ‘tighter’ range that I do like to see on lure rods – ther’s also the SHS782M casting 10-30 a little shorter these are my medium backup lure rods on the RIB, also for the shore sometimes. I’m assuming that you are lure casting from the shore? Am up and down to cork a lot could show you one if you wanted - dont worry Im not a distributor or anything like it!

You should be able to pick them up for around 135.00 as its coming to the end of the season with lots of reductions etc.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:00 pm

theres a guy from waterford stocking the sakuras now,i woz looking at one the other day,woz very tempted to take my wallet
out,lovely rod for that money woz very impressed with it! lovely action on them,might have to treat myself to one soon :lol: dont think the guy has a website yet,hes got a blog http://seirelandlurefishing.blogspot.com his name is pat hes got a good range of quality japanese lures aswel,the blog makes good reading too guys!