Lure Retrievers

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone uses one themselves as they seem quite popular abroad and given the cost of some lures they certainly seem like they could be a worthwhile tool to have in the bag. They are something I had heard about a long time ago but only got one recently, an Australian 'Tackleback'. I must admit that I had actually completely forgotten about it until I was reading a few envious catch reports here lately with some some expensive lure losses. I haven't even taken my one out of the packaging or now that I think of it even remember where I've left it but I'm just wondering if anybody uses any of these lure retrievers and if they work at all?

I must see if I can find my where I left my own one now and see how well it works on dry land.

Re: Lure Retrievers

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:10 pm

In other words, you've lost a tool that helps you retrieve lost lures :roll: :roll: Maybe theres another tool for finding lost tools that retrieve lost lures :shock: :? :? :lol:

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 pm

eyesreilly wrote:In other words, you've lost a tool that helps you retrieve lost lures :roll: :roll: Maybe theres another tool for finding lost tools that retrieve lost lures :shock: :? :? :lol:

Quiet you.. :lol:

Actually it wasn't as lost as I thought it was, I just found it but I'm still not too sure how it works exactly. :? It seems like the weight of the lure retriever is suppose to knock the lure out of the snag or failing that seems like it might grip the swivel i frot of the lure and possibly enable you to try to pull the lure free of the snag with the heavy cord, I think maybe :? I'll see if I can find a bit of string and figure out how its supposed to work. :wink:

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Could you post a picture or a link please?

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:42 pm

If you use floating plugs...tie the line off (leaving the line loose) to a rock and the swell sometimes breaks it free..then haul it in.....

Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

inigo wrote:Could you post a picture or a link please?

No problem Inigo here's a photo of the one I have and I think I've sussed out how it works, I just need to get a bit of good strong chord to use with it.

This link shows a bunch of different types and makes of Lure Retrievers and it will probably explain how they work better than I will.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:59 pm

that looks the job. my latest loss was one of the sandeel strike pro lures - €16.50 stuck on a rock somewhere....not good

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 pm

here a few from fleabay, unfortunately shipping cost are prohibitive, but they look fairly straightforward to copy, provided you are not all thumbs :wink: :P :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CEBBRA-WOBBLER-RETTE ... gelsport_Köder_Futter?hash=item58828c2cd3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Koederretter-Wobbler ... gelsport_Köder_Futter?hash=item5ace0352bb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mantikor-Koederrette ... gelsport_Köder_Futter?hash=item1c08dcb420&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Genial-Koederloeser- ... gelsport_Köder_Futter?hash=item4a9377896e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Strange mechinisms. Does the retreiver actually get cast out with the lure and if snagged you pull back in the force of it andnot using the full force of your mainline??

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 pm

aaronjunited wrote:Strange mechinisms. Does the retreiver actually get cast out with the lure and if snagged you pull back in the force of it and not using the full force of your mainline??

No, if you get snagged, the idea is that you clip one of these devices onto your mainline letting it slide down the mainline to the snagged lure with a cord attached to it, it then either knocks the lure out of the snag or connects onto the lure allowing you to now use the stronger cord attached to the lure retriever to try to pull the lure out of the snag or at least that's the theory. I have only tried to used the one I have (The Tackleback) it in the back garden and after a bit of fiddling I got it to work although I'd be interested to see how well or otherwise it will work with an actual snag.

Also just to point out that after doing a bit of reading up on these devices I realised that many of them, like the picture shown in 'The Austrians' last post are actually designed to be used vertically from boats, although the one I have (The Tackleback) seems to also be used from the shore but as I say I'll be interested to see how well or otherwise it work in real conditions. Thankfully I havent needed to use it yet. :wink: