How do I mount a jelly ?

Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi

I posted this question on the shore angling Q&A forum but guess I should have posted it here. Sorry about that.

My question is this. I am new to all of this sea fishing and have just bought some jellies (flutterworms and sandeels) and I can't quite figure out how I am supposed to mount them. Do I simply push a hook through the head ?

Thanks for all advice

FB

Re: How do I mount a jelly ?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm not sure how to put it in words myself, but I got this description from seafishing.co.uk

"Start by placing the hook alongside the worm with the eye of the hook just above the head of the worm. Note where the start of the bend of the hook is in relation to the body of the worm, this is where the hook will exit.
Start the point of the hook in the head of the worm and thread the body on the hook until you reach the exit place.
The worm should almost cover the shank of the hook and hang straight down, do not go around the bend otherwise the worm will spin"

You could always pop into your local tackle store and buy one or two of them and ask the guy behind the counter to show you how to do it. If you see it happening in front of you, it's dead easy.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:40 pm

do a search of the posts by rappalajoe - he has great pictures about different ways to mount the soft lures - great quality

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Here you go, its a very informative thread and well worth a read.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13959

btw is there any chance one of the mods could fix the images in that thread as I notice that they arent appearing since the switch over to the new board.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for the links, especially to rappalajoe

That helps loads

Cheers

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 pm

im no tech dave - but a lot of the pictures never transferred when the site changeover was done

which is extremely unfortunate!