fishing poppers for bass

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:58 pm

hi lads just starting fishing with poppers is there certian ones that are best for bass have yet to find a place to start using poppers know of a couple of marks around east cork could any one point me in the right direction beaches,esturies gladly take pms on a couple of marks is it best at hw lw thanks

Re: fishing poppers for Bass

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Many will tell you about the Chug-Bug. I've been a lot luckier with the Yo-Zuri Hydro Popper (9cm in mackerel).

Re: fishing poppers for Bass

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi,

It's very difficult for people wanting info on venues and marks to actually get details on an internet forum, because there are commercial boatmen reading this stuff, and if precise details are given the place will be netted out within 24 hours.

I've fished east and west Cork and caught bass on poppers over the following ground:

- shallow rubbly rock areas. These don't look much at low tide, but bass do make a bee-line for them on the flood in the hope of rock gobies, slaters, small crab and so on.
- rocky fingers at the edges of sandy bays. These are at the sides of headlands. Don't fish the headlands themselves, there might be a few bass but more than likely they will be too deep and not worth the scamble down These 'sides' of headlands don't look like rocky fingers at low tide, but about 2 hours into the flood the gaps between raised areas get filled with water, and the trick is to cast up them and twitch a popper back. The bass are looking for any animal dislodged by the moving water.

With both the above you will get your feet wet, so wear thigh waders or even chest waders. If you wear trainers you will fuss about worrying about getting wet, and you need to concentrate on where the best and safest water is.

- sandy estuaries I've had problems with, because the water moves too fast to get any good action on the popper. Maybe neaps are better.

- around rock 'islands' at high water. Especially if the water is frothy. Try to get the popper to move along the sea-facing edge of the rock.

- slow-sloping rock ledges having the odd ditch-shape gulley running parallel with the shore. I've done quite well with these on the ebb, where you can walk out with the lowering tide. These can cause a treble to jam up sometimes, in which case I cut off the braid and tie it onto something - then collect the popper later on.

I hope this helps

I hope you can translate there points to marks around East & west Cork. They are there.