low or high tide

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:25 pm

ive tryed using lures over the last 2 summers and had no luck i know the fish should be there its a nice place . for fish but /no luck .lookin for a bit of info on other peoples expeirences is high or low tide better

Re: low or high tide

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:41 pm

Where are you fishing and what are you after. Some places fish better for some species at high tide and vice versa.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 pm

it might depend on the spot you are fishing,i fished two spots near spiddel and one was only good on the incoming tide and the other was only good on the outgoing tide
the spot with the incoming tide had a lot of weed and the spot with the outgoing tide was fairly clean ground
the two spots were less then half a mile apart

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:45 pm

In waterford there is spots that fish on the coming tide, dropping tide either side of low water and so on! If you stick to big tides (usually better fishing) in and around high water should do the trick well thats what Iv found anyway....
If you want to send me a pm of where bouts you fish I could tell you what time tide wise I fish it, if I do :!:

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:43 pm

What kind of lures are you using?
What kind of ground are you fishing over?
What time of day are you fishing?

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:01 pm

i would normaly be fishin the high tide i allways thougt that was best but info on this site has changedmy mind and ground would be fairly rough lures would be tormenter's german sprat and other silver spinners ,spoons and would normally be daytime

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Perhaps moving to some of the surface or sub surface lures might help your cause. You can work these much slower over rough ground which at certain times of the year can be of great help. I find the top of the tide the least productive time. You need the tide to be pushing or receeding. It's this water movement that gets the baitfish moving and switches the Bass on. When new to a spot I try to fish an outgoing tide, simply because it's safer. Some studies have suggested that Bass feed heavier on the incoming tide, but I've always done ok on the outgoing. To futher help your cause try fishing dawn or dusk, when the Bass will be feeding more actively.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Kev

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am

my experience is try last 3 hours out but it depends on what your after and what kinda ground your fishing :)

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:09 pm

I'd agree with everything MAC and the others have said. You need to take lots of factors into account and tide is only one of them. Phase of the moon, weather, time of day, time of year, sea state, etc.

You then need to choose the right lure and this will change depending on the time of year in particular, but also on the sea conditions and other factors.

I realise we're not helping you much! My advice would be to focus on the areas you feel look right and fish it over a season (i.e. from around now until the end of the autumn) and try different tides and different moon phases until you hit the right combination. Keep a diary of when you fish, not just when you have success. Eventually you'll be able to "read" your venue and choose in advance the optimum times to fish it.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

its a bit of work that can be really interesting, you might find some help here on these three (more will follow over the year)

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/02/sw ... ition.html

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/01/sa ... mings.html

http://www.probassfisher.com/2009/01/sa ... -lure.html

best

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:59 pm

nice one lads, hopefully i.ll be out saturday morn goin to give 4 hrs to lures hope i will have something to report

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:10 pm

I've usually found high tide to be better, when fishing off piers or rocks.

John.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:47 pm

during july and august if you know a spot where the mackeral come in, Not piers now but some rocky or rough ground not too deep , fish a large lure into the breaks of mackeral (15/18cm semi shallow diving )
This will keep most of the mack off your lure and the bass will be in under the action looking for an easy meal.
Try this,this summer ..but get up early..dawn or or even dusk.. you WILL get one and it should be a nice size too......

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:33 pm

NICE ONE :lol: goin to try the next few days and weeks know a lovely spot for that