sea trout lures

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:23 pm

i fancy trying it either on the fly or lure any advice on lures.....

Re: sea trout lures

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 pm

the black mepps (or copy) that has the yello spots on it can be very effective in the summer

the copper ones are also supposed to be good but ive had no joy

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:08 pm

cheers for that, how bout tobies are they any good.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 pm

ive never caught one on a toby but anecdotely they seem to throw up the odd one - but i think you would be better with a copper coloured one

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm

blue and silver toby

teal blue and silver for swff

Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:00 am

All tobys will take them.

Best seems to be silver with red wings and copper with red wings.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 am

Dan i have found that blue and silver tobys work best round the co.down coast. :wink:

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:39 am

Dan on this thread their is some nice pic's of seatrout lures posted by jim H

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8716&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 pm

cheers lads, some good advice there. hopefully get a few soon, i'll let yas know........ :lol: :lol:

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:48 pm

I have done well with the 20g Toby, the coper/black early in the season and the green/gold in the summer (good for Bass as well as is the lower one), the white is supposed to be good for them as well, adding the extra ring on the treble is a good tip as well as they tend to wriggle off easily

tobies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:14 am

DAN,

tobies and small plugs work fine. Tazmanian devils are good in places. My preference = vivas parades. Try them in blue silver.

sk

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Small Dexter Wedge will get them aswell.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Sea trout will basically take anything. They are not scavengers though, so it surprises me that they take a mackeral strip bottom fished.

I know they will take an earth worm nailed to the bottom of a river. A salmon needs the worm to be moving.

Daylight fishing for sea-trout can be difficult on rivers.
During the day they will fall to small flies that cause a surface disturbance dry flies can be very effective.you do need to scale down on the line for daylight as they are very line shy.
Myself and a few other guys laughed at a guy fishing a mouse like fly one day, we stood there with red faces when he pulled in a good sea-trout.

When night fishing for sea-trout, you must wait until it's too dark to see then wait an hour longer. This is when the big 3" sunk lures come out. Great fun!!

Hugh falkus "secret weapon" is a great night fly.
I have never gone about targetting the sea-trout in the salt, but I would not be surprised if people are using flies that are much too big for them. A river angler would never dream of using a sandeel like fly during the daylight hours.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:27 am

An Abu Garcia Tormentor Coast worked well today. :wink:

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:49 pm

SeanP wrote:I have done well with the 20g Toby, the coper/black early in the season and the green/gold in the summer (good for Bass as well as is the lower one), the white is supposed to be good for them as well, adding the extra ring on the treble is a good tip as well as they tend to wriggle off easily

tobies.jpg

i use them for pollack, mackerel, perch, pike, rainbow trout and brown trout, i'll maybe try them for the sea trout this year.
got plenty of them.....

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:05 pm

dan wrote:
SeanP wrote:I have done well with the 20g Toby, the coper/black early in the season and the green/gold in the summer (good for Bass as well as is the lower one), the white is supposed to be good for them as well, adding the extra ring on the treble is a good tip as well as they tend to wriggle off easily

tobies.jpg

i use them for pollack, mackerel, perch, pike, rainbow trout and brown trout, i'll maybe try them for the sea trout this year.
got plenty of them.....

just curious Dan,are you allowed to fish for Rainbows using lures. they wouldent let me use them in Wicklow no lures allowed, it didnt stop 5 guys from getting about 50 rainbows on lures :twisted:

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:01 pm

certtain places in the north, i dont know about over the boarder, there is a place in county tyrone (white lough) allows lures, north woodburn in county Antrim, lough money county down, etc.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

To revive an old topic - just recently I've been having massive fun with a Smith TR-Surger. Upriver on a Conservation Order, so single barbless hooks drove me to it. An outstanding lure, it's a pity I can't find any more of them!

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Would you like some? Even retro fitted with gran single hooks?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:45 pm

JimH wrote:Would you like some? Even retro fitted with gran single hooks?

Yes please, especially single hooks! It was one of those you gave me 3 or 4 years ago jim. I finally dug it out and used it. 6 sea trout in a 2 hour session a couple of days ago, the best going to 1.75 lbs. Before that I released a 46cm trout that I reckon was about 3 lbs in weight.