Re: sea trout lures

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:22 pm

If I may speak on behlf of FMCN, I have seen him catch a fair few on the half size bass bullet. I have caught a few before on a green kilty lure (I know I bang on about this lure but it works for me in certain conditions and marks). I have also heard that blue/silver is a good combo but have never taken one on a toby myself.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm

White Hansen Stripper in 15g or 17g. Best sea trout lure - end of! :wink: :D

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Interesting - why white? Does the Hansen do anything in silver?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:34 am

Appreciate I made a pretty bold statement there but each to their own I guess tanglerat. I know blue/sliver and copper are often mentioned as the go to colors, but my own experience is that the white stripper outfishes other colors of the same lure at least 2:1.

As an example, just back from two weeks in kerry - fished a local estuary for most of it. Lost count of the amount of trout caught, but 50+ in 7 sessions there, along with 6 bass (2 bass and 13 sea trout to 3lbs in one magic two hour sesh). On day one I started using a red/black stripper, nothing for an hour. Tried a few other lures (kilty's/toby's etc) - nothing. Switched to a white stripper and 3 fish in the next 4 casts. I did a lot of experimenting with lures (incl. SP's - bass have a definite liking for wave worms bounced down channels on the flooding tide) but the white stripper outfished everything.

The reality is that on any one day fish can be turned on by a particular lure or color so my "bold" statement could easily be conceived as tosh. But for sea trout or for those hedging their bets on bass and sea trout being present, then this is the first lure and color I'd reach for. It has a fantastic swinging action in the tide. I'm sure my confidence in the lure doesn't do any harm either!

The one piece of advice I'd give is to use a short mono/flouro leader - braid straight through results in the treble tangling in the braid too often. As well as being annoying it spooks the fish on retrieval. Also no harm in debarbing the hooks - expecially if there are a lot of small trout about.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:59 am

Tanglerat wrote:Interesting - why white? Does the Hansen do anything in silver?

Try here some nice lures on this site.

http://www.lureshop.eu/seatrout/hansen.html

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Yeah, saw that on another post myself - good site and prices. Suspect my credit card may take a hammering some time soon.

Closer to home Henry's also stock them.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Hansen Stripper
Smith Troutin Surger
Small Abu Krill
Small Abu Toby
Small lures up to 100mm & occassionally a bigger lure are all on the sea trout's menu
Jensen sea trout lures
This list goes on & on

Anyone got any preferences regarding single hook, double hook or treble??
Hook sizes??
Double split rings or not??

Etc

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Would prefer double split rings - any stats to proove it works better? None! Would bow to someone like Jim on that. Two splits or one you will lose a lot of fish and get a lot of bites and plucks without connecting. just keep reeling, the age old story of fish taking the lure at the rod tip is true!!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Good list Bagpuss. I'm going to try that Hansen, next season if I don't get a chance before the end of this season. Meanwhile, here's one that Mick of Mr Fish in Jersey recommended to me recently, and I've been catching some nice fish on it

The Quantum Mahi in Red/Silver, 12g. Casts like a bullet, lively action on the retrieve.

Whatever kind of hook you go for, don't do what I did yesterday - cast at a rising trout with a TR Surger and have it hit, jump, splash, jump again and get off. The club veteran standing beside me (who I was demostrating these "new-angled ideas" to at the time) kindly checked my hook and pointed out it was as blunt as a crayon..... the shame.... :oops:

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm

theshoreking wrote:DAN,

tobies and small plugs work fine. Tazmanian devils are good in places. My preference = vivas parades. Try them in blue silver.

sk

+1
Tazmanian devils can be very good at times

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Steve wrote:Appreciate I made a pretty bold statement there but each to their own I guess tanglerat. I know blue/sliver and copper are often mentioned as the go to colors, but my own experience is that the white stripper outfishes other colors of the same lure at least 2:1.

As an example, just back from two weeks in kerry - fished a local estuary for most of it. Lost count of the amount of trout caught, but 50+ in 7 sessions there, along with 6 Bass (2 Bass and 13 sea trout to 3lbs in one magic two hour sesh). On day one I started using a red/black stripper, nothing for an hour. Tried a few other lures (kilty's/toby's etc) - nothing. Switched to a white stripper and 3 fish in the next 4 casts. I did a lot of experimenting with lures (incl. SP's - Bass have a definite liking for wave worms bounced down channels on the flooding tide) but the white stripper outfished everything.

The reality is that on any one day fish can be turned on by a particular lure or color so my "bold" statement could easily be conceived as tosh. But for sea trout or for those hedging their bets on Bass and sea trout being present, then this is the first lure and color I'd reach for. It has a fantastic swinging action in the tide. I'm sure my confidence in the lure doesn't do any harm either!

The one piece of advice I'd give is to use a short mono/flouro leader - braid straight through results in the treble tangling in the braid too often. As well as being annoying it spooks the fish on retrieval. Also no harm in debarbing the hooks - expecially if there are a lot of small trout about.

Nice one Steve, there were five of us fishing the weekend in Waterford/cork. We threw out every plug, lure, sp's under the sun, it was only the Hansen white stripper that got us any Bass. 8)

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Good stuff Anto!

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

I picked up a few for my trip to kerry next weekend. Will give em a good go and let ye know.
Will be using the Fiiish Black Minnow and a feed shallow too but the above has convinced me to give em some time.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

Eoghan wrote:I picked up a few for my trip to kerry next weekend. Will give em a good go and let ye know.
Will be using the Fiiish Black Minnow and a feed shallow too but the above has convinced me to give em some time.

Hi Eoghan, What size black minnow jig head are you using?

Anto.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm

I heard the Tazmanian devils worked very well in places in South Kerry

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 am

nicefish wrote:
Eoghan wrote:I picked up a few for my trip to kerry next weekend. Will give em a good go and let ye know.

Hi Eoghan, What size black minnow jig head are you using?

Anto.

Not entirely sure, I will check. The lure is approx 5 inches long if I rememeber.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 am

deadly dick lures there american have to order on line there un real for seatrout bass and mackreal,the seatrout love them

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Variations on the Dexter Wedge theme there. I like the look of them, it'd be worth having a chuck or two with them I reckon.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Steve wrote:White Hansen Stripper in 15g or 17g. Best sea trout lure - end of! :wink: :D

Agreed, the large white stripper is deadly for the Kerry bass.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:18 pm

for the tout it has to be silver and red mepps, size 3!!! works for me around co.down