which lines to use??

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:52 pm

hi, just after buying my 1st spinning rod and reel and wondering which line to put on it. i have 2 spools with the reel and was thinking maybe around the 10-12lb for one and about 14lb for the other. itll be used from rocks and beaches.
the capacity is 0.25-260yd, .30-180yd, 0.35-130yd and .40-100yd.

any suggestions on which line to use would be appreciated.
cheers,
red.

Re: which lines to use??

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:17 pm

What are you fishing for red? You should try to match the line to your target.

If you're in Cork, I assume you're going to try for bass at some stage. Definitely go for a braided line. I would suggest 20lb breaking strain as a reasonable all-rounder. I've never had a problem with PowerPro line.

Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:57 pm

hi red with the two spools, put 15lb mono on one and twenty to thirty lb on the other, this will cover most of your fishing,use the lighter line for float fishing,spinning,beach work, and the heavier line for bottom fishing over rocky ground, or any rocky ground work,braid is a great line,but expensive, and not really for beginers.Dont forget to use a shock leader if you are using weights over 2oz, the rule is use line ten times the strengh of the weight, so two oz = twenty lb line, three oz = thirty lb line etc!

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Red,

I am sortof agreeing with the lads. I would fill one with 20lb invisibraid and the other with 20lb invisibraid. Braid is a good all rounder for both spinning and light ground fishing. However, if/when you are adding the shockleader make sure you use a knot suitable for joining braid. Again there are special knots for tying on swivels etc that you wouldn't have been using for mono. This is important as braid knots differently to mono. If you are a beginner you will need to get used to using braid.

shoreking

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Red,

I am sortof agreeing with the lads. I would fill one with 20lb invisibraid and the other with 20lb invisibraid. Braid is a good all rounder for both spinning and light ground fishing. However, if/when you are adding the shockleader make sure you use a knot suitable for joining braid. Again there are special knots for tying on swivels etc that you wouldn't have been using for mono. This is important as braid knots differently to mono. If you are a beginner you will need to get used to using braid.

shoreking

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:15 pm

cheers for the replies and info lads, much appreciated,
might justgo with ordinary mono to begin with tho. i have a fair bit of 15lb and 19lb which are both .35m. would these be ok???
cheers,
red

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:58 pm

I think even 15lb mono for lure fishing is a bit on the heavy side and will impede your casting, personally I would load one spool with 20 - 30lb PowerPro braid and maybe 10 - 12lb mono on the other spool.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:17 pm

i use 10-12Ibs for macks and small pollack
bigger pollack i use 15-20Ibs
these are probably the only types of fish i lure fish for apart the odd codling which i use a 15Ibs main line for.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 pm

cheers lads. i opted for the mono as im a beginner and thats what im used to. went for 12lb on one and 17lb on the other for rockier marks.
cheers,
red.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Red,

heres a tip for you. When you are loading line onto your spinning reel put some tape around the spool first. This can help spool corrossion along with washing etc. Its hard to wash the spool because it has line on it and eventually the salt can build up in there. I have attached 3 pics. One showing a new spool beside a used spool which was salt damaged. A close up of the pitting which is almost through the spool. The other pic is a spool which has been taped and ready for line.

shoreking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:52 pm

Red,

heres a tip for you. When you are loading line onto your spinning reel put some tape around the spool first. This can help spool corrossion along with washing etc. Its hard to wash the spool because it has line on it and eventually the salt can build up in there. I have attached 3 pics. One showing a new spool beside a used spool which was salt damaged. A close up of the pitting which is almost through the spool. The other pic is a spool which has been taped and ready for line.

shoreking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 pm

good tip there shoreking :idea: but i have them loaded up already. ill put some tape on before i refill them the next time. should i use any kind of tape in particular or what??
now to catch something with it. might head out tomorrow night somewhere so ill bring it along to get a feel for it while my other rod is blanking. :!: :!: :!:

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 pm

Electrical insulating tape will do the job