new spinning rod/reel

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

new spinning rod/reel

Postby red » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:32 pm

hi, im looking to get a spinning rod and reel and not sure what to buy. looked in a local shop a few weeks ago and was recommended a few but cant remember what. i want something that'll cope with a 10lb bass if im ever lucky enough to come across one but will also give a bit of sport with a mackerel on. im looking to spend around E100-E130 in total. one he recommended and i liked was the ugly stick/ugly stick lite. normal was E55 and Lite was E60 for 10". whats the difference and are they as good as people say??
as for the reel, im open to suggestions. if i got the ugly stick id have about E60 or E70 left for the reel.
any info/suggestions appreciated,
cheers lads,
red
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Re: new spinning rod/reel

Postby stevo74 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi Red,

Did you buy rod / reel yet? If not, I highly recommend the 11 ft Greys Seaspin. It's a Bass / Pollock rod used mainly for spinning but also good for light bait fishing. I used it alot for mackerel fishing too during the summer. It's casts 1-3 Oz weight and has great action. It's bit pricey but I feel the lifetime warranty makes it worth it. I got it online for £100 (€117) but also managed to get a free Mitchell 300xe spinning reel with it. This reel is far too small to use with the seaspin, but I use this one on a smaller spinning rod and bought another reel for the Seaspin. Shimano are quality reels.

Anyway hope this helps if you haven't already bought one

steve
Species list 2011 - Bass, Dab, Rockling, Dogfish,Common Smooth hound, Starry Smooth hound,whiting,pollock
stevo74
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby Richie07 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:33 pm

stevo74 wrote:Hi Red,

Did you buy rod / reel yet? If not, I highly recommend the 11 ft Greys Seaspin. It's a Bass / Pollock rod used mainly for spinning but also good for light bait fishing. I used it alot for mackerel fishing too during the summer. It's casts 1-3 Oz weight and has great action. It's bit pricey but I feel the lifetime warranty makes it worth it. I got it online for £100 (€117) but also managed to get a free Mitchell 300xe spinning reel with it. This reel is far too small to use with the seaspin, but I use this one on a smaller spinning rod and bought another reel for the Seaspin. Shimano are quality reels.

Anyway hope this helps if you haven't already bought one

steve

I have the Greys one but it's too big for spinning and to heavy for smaller lures especially if it's sport you're after and you want to feel the fish, I just use it for a bit of bottom and float fishing the odd time.
Maybe try the ABU Sapphire crest 35 grm, 8ft , only around 100 Euro and match it with one of the smaller Shimano reels at about 50 Euro.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby red » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:29 am

havent bought anything yet lads. the missus is gettin me them for xmas so probably wont buy till december. was hoping id have a few replies here by then and id have a good idea of what people like or dislike and make a decision from there.

tanx for the speedy replies,
red.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Return to Lure Fishing