bass poppers

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

bass poppers

Postby darrenh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 pm

hows the fishing lads want to pick your brians expert bass fishermen just wandering is it possible to get bass on poppers ,spinners at this time of year r is water temp to low heard bass only go for poppers in warmer conditions cheers any marks fishin well for bass can pm wouldnt want to broadcast secret marks still searchin for my first bass seem impossible to catch any info great help lads rory gave me a lot of tips must be doing sumtinwrong :?:
darrenh
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Re: bass poppers

Postby Conger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 pm

Hi Darrenh, not the most experienced person but i find that a bubble float weighted with water and a rubber eel (gulp/Storm) about 3 to 4 feet down from this is a great way to fish or a bass wedge...

Regards

C
Speices 2011 : Codling, Whiting, Bass, Flounder, Ray, Dogfish, Turbot

Speices 2012 : codling, Bass (pb), Flounder

Speices 2013 : Codling, thornie, Bass, whiting, coalie, flounder,dogfish,painted ray, Sea trout, Turbot

Species 2014 : Codling, thornie, turbot, flounder

2011 PB List - Ray 7lb
2012 PB List - Bass 11lb
2013 PB List - Painted Ray 10.5lb, 1lb 3b rockling, 10lb Thornback Ray, 1lb Sea Trout
Conger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 136 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby teacher » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:04 pm

Getting a bit late in the year for surface lures. Wait until next May/June.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby teacher » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:13 pm

teacher wrote:Getting a bit late in the year for surface lures. Wait until next May/June.

I take it back. Bass were still taking surface lures today (29th December) in some lovely conditions.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby inigo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I wish it was Xmas already!! :mrgreen: :lol:
inigo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby teacher » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:16 pm

teacher wrote:29th December

Eh, that should be 29th November. Thanks inigo :D
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby theshoreking » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:44 pm

By right it should be gettin a bit cold for poppers but nothin is predictable. Even though the weather is cold with two days, the water may not be as bad yet as we think. In the waterford area pluggin is going well. Three popular marks at the moment seem to be sullivans (seaview), ballymacart (old parsh) [low water only] and the castle (clonea [high water]
theshoreking

Postby teacher » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:23 pm

theshoreking wrote:By right it should be gettin a bit cold for poppers

That's what I thought. I only tried a stick bait as a last resort when sub-surface was a bit slow.

One thing I can say for definite is that it was cold yesterday. Very, very cold. :shock:
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby theshoreking » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Teacher thats Interesting,

yo zuri do a plug like the mag popper but i think it is called the mag darter which sort of works just under the surface so that could be worth a shot if they were comin up to the popper.
theshoreking

Postby teacher » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:50 pm

You've hit the nail there. The other person I was fishing with was getting more takes on a lure that works on or just below the surface, to a depth of a couple of inches. (See below)

We had to fish the lures very slow to get a take. Twitch, stop, twitch, stop.

The fish were also being very tentative. I missed one fish that was just sitting below and behind the lure and taking little nibbles at the back hook, even when the lure was stationary.

Possible a teaser behind the lure might have worked but my hands were too cold to tie one on :D
Attachments
1201774933.jpg
1201774933.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 949 times
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby theshoreking » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Interesting lure. Looks a bit like a lucky craft with a lip. Wd you use a fly for the teaser. I have seen guys use a fly about 3ft above the plug as a dropper on a 3 way swivel as a teaser.

I got fish today on a shallow diving lure alright. Had a biggie follow right in and swirl behind the plug.

aaaargh!
theshoreking

Return to Lure Fishing