WHICH LURE?

Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:59 pm

If you could only fish one lure, which one would use and why?

Silver Toby

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:04 pm

4" silver Toby.

It'll catch anything that swims either in salt or fresh water and its dead cheap so you're not afraid to cast it where the fish are!

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I can't imagine having just one lure so I've going to choose one sub-surface and one surface lure.

For sub-surface, I'd choose a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 Suspending, probably in a black and yellow tiger pattern. I've had bass, pollack, pike and brown trout (!) on this lure. It casts well and is very versatile.

For surface, I think it might have to be the old but reliable Heddon (Zara) Super Spook pencil bait. You can hear it coming from a mile away so it works in poor visibility but will also entice fish in clear water. Easier to work than most other pencil baits and you can vary the action a lot.

Or maybe I'd choose the Y-Z Mag Popper. I've had a lot of success with this over teh last couple of years when other lures wouldn't work. Again, it's very versatile and you can work it like a popper or with more gentle walk-the-dog action with less splashing. Casts incredibly well too.

Argh, I can't choose. This is too difficult. :lol:

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:18 pm

I have fished lures once. I used one lure AZURE which i got 2 pollock :lol: first for me ,so for the moment this is my favorite one. I hope to change this shortly as i just bought Lucky craft flash minnow 110 ghost blue shad,YO- ZURI pins magnet F green-silver,YO-ZURI AILE MAGNET F GREEN MACKEREL. MARIA CHASE BW made mistake ment to buy SW :shock:.RAPALA JOINTED 9 BLUE another mistake was ment to get J13 :cry: If one othese lures gets me a bass not only will it be my favorite i will frame it :D

Which Lure

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:50 pm

You picked a good un with the Green Mack :wink:

Re: Which Lure

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Pat wrote:You picked a good un with the Green Mack :wink:

hope so, how could a bass turn down a little beauty like him or her :shock:

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 pm

I go along with the 4in toby best all round lure for all types of fish

Re:

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 pm

fish wish wrote:I have fished lures once. I used one lure AZURE which i got 2 pollock :lol: first for me ,so for the moment this is my favorite one. I hope to change this shortly as i just bought Lucky craft flash minnow 110 ghost blue shad,YO- ZURI pins magnet F green-silver,YO-ZURI AILE MAGNET F GREEN MACKEREL. MARIA CHASE BW made mistake ment to buy SW :shock:.RAPALA JOINTED 9 BLUE another mistake was ment to get J13 :cry: If one othese lures gets me a bass not only will it be my favorite i will frame it :D

I had Problem with my old name FISH WISH could not log in. Feels like im talking to myself :oops: point is i used yo-zuri pins magnet f green caught nothing :cry: looks great in the water :lol:

Re: WHICH LURE?

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 pm

My favourite would be the Maria Chase as it casts well, works very good it tight and shallow areas, works good when the sea is rough and does not lose its effectiveness and has always caught all the fish I tend to target, Bass, Pollock and Mackerel.
Although I am beginning to use the Sammy more and more but in the right conditions of course.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:06 pm

I have a new favourite ... the SMITH ZipSea Pop, in this colour:

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:42 pm

teacher wrote:I have a new favourite ... the SMITH ZipSea Pop, in this colour:

wow :shock: have you used it yet?

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Started using the ZipSea pop about a year ago. It has a nice popper action and it's very versatile. By working it different ways you can make big splashes, small "bulges" or work it just under the surface.

But the main reason is that it's lucky. I lost it when my line gave and got it back with another lure :D

I'll probably have a new favourite next week ...

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm

my favorate lure is the one that works on the day, at the minute thats the bass popper

Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:44 pm

Same as MC, my favorate lure is the one that works on the day, Now the Yo-Zuri Banana Boat Silver & Black
FWIW
JK

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:25 am

What's you're success rate on them?

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:02 am

At the moment it has to be the kilty catcher. Its the only one I can get a hit on :D And its not for the lack of trying other lures mag poppers sammy,s maria,s slug-go etc etc.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 am

Hi Pat,
It's very hard to say. I used to use J11 & J13's for a few years and found them ok. I switched to Yo-Zuri's about 5 years ago, so a comparison is not really there. I feel more confident this year with the banana boat. If I have an idea where bass might be, I seem to hook up using the banana boats. I dont tend to use the crystal minnows or mag darters much now, as the marks I now fish are very shallow. The top water aspect is excellent for actually seeing the input you impart on the lure. Confidence is key. The year before last, no matter what I tried, I couldn't catch a bass. I was not sure I had the right setup or lure etc. Last year, I decided to concentrate on two marks only, using only three lures. My confidence increased with more takes, so I knew what I was doing was right. I just wasnt landing a proportionate number of bass to takes. Hence this year I changed my rod to a 1010 pro and the reel to a technium 5000. First trip out I had one take and one bass.
Confidence sky high, I went out again last night and blanked! However, I will go out again tonight, and feel I have what it takes to get bass on a lure - The Banana Boat will be my choice again tonight.
JK

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:17 am

Good choice on the rod JK. I've also got the 1010 & Technium 5000. Its an excellent combo.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Sub Surface :

Tough one but either Green Kilty lure or German sprat. Have caught tons of Bass on both. Great for distance casts when needed too. Not too expensive so you can risk them over gullies, rough marks etc...
I never have less than four of each at any one time with me on a Bass session.

Surface :

Yo zuri mag popper ( as you can see from my avatar). Again I have caught plenty of Bass on them and they allow you to fish in really difficult areas. I have tons of lures but I use the above 3 most of all over any others.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 am

it would have to be the silver kilty for me, i havent used another spinner this year and ive had over 60 bass on it