New lure Rod - Mike Ladle Surespin 1010 pro

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

New lure Rod - Mike Ladle Surespin 1010 pro

Postby jfkireland » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Folks,
Anyone got one of these rods (Mike Ladle Surespin1010 pro)? I am looking to buy a new lure rod and the reviews of this rod have been good in the magazines, but can you trust them!!!
I went into Henry a couple of weeks ago and he had a beautiful Shimano lure rod, which I am really tempted by, but at €560 is a bit on the expensive side.
I may still go for this after feeling the rod and the power of it, just seems a perfect lure rod.
The veals one is €200.
I have been using Carp rods at 2.5 and 3lb but am just finding them too soft and have lost a couple of fish because of this.
Also should I just push the boat out completely and go for a matching Shimano technium reel? :D
Can anyone please help?
Thanks
John
PS. PMs Welcome too if anyone wants to do some lure fishing around Dublin!!!
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby teacher » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 pm

I think the Mike Ladel rod is rated at 15-50g. Personally I would go for something that would cast lighter lures with a little more ease. Comes down to personal choice though, and the types of lures you use. Best way to decide would be to try a cast, if you get the chance.

I'm currently using a Smith Blow Shot Boron 8'6" 10g-35g for my bass fishing. I'm also going to invest in a lighter rod for sea trout and some lighter bass work when the conditions allow.

The Shimano sounds a little pricey. What model is it?

Someone was showing me the new technium (2008 model) the other day. Lovely looking reel. It think it's been "downsized" from previous models and is now a nice compact reel.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jfkireland » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Teacher,
Thanks for the reply, I think the rod was the Shimano Lesath 11' Spinning Rod.
I mainly use Yo-Zuri Mag Minnows, Banana Boats, Mag Poppers & J11's, so casting would generally be in the 20 - 50 range.
I think the deal offered included the new technium 4000.
What do you think?
Thanks
John
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Postby teacher » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:00 am

The J11 and the lighter mag poppers and minnows are around 12-16g. If you can't try out the Surespin, then it might be worth trying out similar rods with the same/similar casting range (starting from 15g). That should tell you whether the Surespin is suitable for the types of lure you fish.

It sounds like a nice light rod (210g), especially for an 11' rod.

I'm becoming a bit obsessed with lighter lure fishing so I'm probably biased towards lighter rods!!

I don't think you can go wrong with the Technium reel. Don't be surprised at the size of the 4000. As I said, I think it might have been downsized for this year's model so it's fairly compact.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby liamdenn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:24 am

Hi
I have one of the mike Ladle 4sure spin rods and have nothing but praise for it. I use it now for nearly everything. Finish is fantastic and I have no problem casting the lightest of plugs and yet the mid section of the rod is beefy enough to cast light leads. I use it for bass, pike, pollock, mullet, salmon and have even taken to using it for shadding from the boat just because its such fun to use. I have a stradic reel that I use with it which is what Mike recommended.
liamdenn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby quarterflounder » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:14 am

Hi, I have the Surespin 1010 - the three piece. If you read the blurb that comes in the veals catalog "We wanted something to surpass our last rod blah blah blah" you would be expecting built in LCD Loadmeters, SAT NAV and a few other gizmos :)

My experiences of the rod are excellent - breaking down into 3 is a bonus - I use it both for spinning for Bass - still caught sod all of them but also use it for ledgering and mackeral - I only use one feather on 6lb line - let the rod and reel do the work. The rod is powerful, bends as it should, the reel seat is excellent.

The only other thing I would say is that the rods that I had previously were in the €50 to 80 mark bar my 2nd hand Paul Kerry fitted Diawa which I would rate second to the Surespin as the surespin is so light yet positive.

Adding briad to the equation made for a whole new fishing experience

Hope that helps.
quarterflounder

Postby TREEMAN1963 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 am

I have the 11ft surespin and it is excellent for plugging/lure fishing. I use a Shimano Twinpower 4000 with mine loaded with 30lb braid. Get the pair for about £180 from Veals.

:D
TREEMAN1963

1010 Pro

Postby Pat » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 am

I recently got the 1010 spinning rod & matched it up with the Shimano Technium. It's brilliant. Last week had several bass to 6.5lbs. Tonight I had a 54cm bass from the shore. Each time the fight was fantastic. The rod allows the fish to give a great account of itself and the match with the Technium is ideal.
Pat
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby teacher » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:01 am

Just got a Technium myself as a second/standby reel. A good solid reel at a good price.

(Landed a 7lb bass within 10 minutes of first putting it on a rod. Currently my only reel with a 100% success rate. Can't be bad!!)
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Jon » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:05 am

I have a 1010 Pro rod & simply can't fault it. It's light, positing to use, casts 1 or 2 oz well, bends nicely when you have a fish on, breaks down easily to for the car. Reel seat is postive & holds the reel well. It's light and having spent much of the last week spinning in Cork my arms aren'y overly tired.

Downsides, it scratches relatively easily, I would prefer an EVA handles rather than a cork one.

Having said that the Tenyu rods look very attractive - Ferrari red - but the price point is extremely high & I couldn't justify spending that much.
Jon
SAI Bait Ball

Postby fish wish » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Having said that the Tenyu rods look very attractive - Ferrari red - but the price point is extremely high & I couldn't justify spending that much.[/quote]

270stg :shock: :shock: :shock:
fish wish

Postby jfkireland » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:24 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your comments. Much appreciated.
Got a trial of the surespin 1010 at the weekend. Did not manage to catch anything but was very impressed. Hence I have just ordered a 1010 Pro and a matching Shimano Technium FB 5000. All in for €235 euro, not bad at all.
Now I just need to get out a bit more! Anyone fancy an evening session next week? Would like to try Red Rock Sutton again ( Can anyone share a specific mark here? Pm's appreciated and marks guarded obviously!)
Thanks again
JK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Re: New lure Rod - Mike Ladle Surespin 1010 pro

Postby quarterflounder » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:45 pm

After 12 sessions with my surespin - busted the cork on the bit that screws down onto the reel to lock it in place - just too fast tightening it. Fixed with glue and duck tape - sorted. Unfortunately bust top third of the rod yesterday - slipped on some weed rod went forward into a rock and snap :( Gotta try and get a replacement - lets see how Veals fare with this......
quarterflounder

Postby quarterflounder » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 am

Woo Hoo - £45 squids :cry: - but at least they have managed to provide it. Well done Veals. Good customer service.
quarterflounder

Postby dfella25 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 am

Hey jfkireland did you get out to Red Rock in the end? I tried there a couple of times over the summer and had no luck at all. I have just got a new spinning rod and I'm dying to break her in.

Popped out to Howth on Saturday after work just to wet the line and left soon after! I did not fit in with the crowd cause I have no Dutch Gold with me :roll:
dfella25
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 131 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Lure Fishing