Main Line --->To Lure Set Up.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Afternoon,

With the 16th upon us, its all hands to the pump to try break my PB in relation to Bass !!

I'm interested to see how others tie/attach lures to there main line.

My set up is:
- 20lb braid mainline tied to a small snap link swivel,
- Attached to this I have 24 inch lenght of 20lb flouro carbon with a loop tied at each end,
- Finally I have the chosen lure attached to the loop on the flouro carbon via split ring.

Does the above sound appropriate?

Any Comments/Views/Suggestion welcome.

Cheers.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi Danny, I use a similar set up to yourself but i knot the mono to the braid and then use the berkley link at the end

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:37 pm

I use 20lb braid for most situations. Leader is either 15lb or 20lb fluro, depending on where I'm fishing, what lures I'm using, and so on. I use an albright know to tie the leader to the braid. I use a small clip to attach the lure. No swivel anywhere in the setup.

I know a lot of folks recommend quite a long leader but I prefer not to have the knot passing through the rings. I use about 50/60 cm of fluro.

lure fishing

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi

Try to use flouro that is slighlt lighter than the braid as this will part when you look for break free should you snag up and not the expensive braid and that is assuming you use knots that are close to 100% strength such as the uni knot - way better than the tradiditional half blood or similar...

Equally you can buy lure savers to insert above the hook and onto the lure - these are engineered for breaking strains so you pick the right ones for your set up so 20 lb braid, 18 lb flouro / mono, 15 lb lure saver might be an option... also check out how to tie a rapala knot as it is critical in getting most plugs to fish properly. Easy enough to find online...

For the lure savers you need to seach online. For some strange reason, tackle shops do not stock them - imagine that!

:wink:

lure fishing

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi

Try to use flouro that is slighlt lighter than the braid as this will part when you look for break free should you snag up and not the expensive braid and that is assuming you use knots that are close to 100% strength such as the uni knot - way better than the tradiditional half blood or similar...

Equally you can buy lure savers to insert above the hook and onto the lure - these are engineered for breaking strains so you pick the right ones for your set up so 20 lb braid, 18 lb flouro / mono, 15 lb lure saver might be an option... also check out how to tie a rapala knot as it is critical in getting most plugs to fish properly. Easy enough to find online...

For the lure savers you need to seach online. For some strange reason, tackle shops do not stock them - imagine that!

:wink:

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:07 am

Thanks gents,

Teacher: I copied your set up last night and gave it a few casts.
Its alot better way to fish than the setup I was using, and I also learned how to tie the Albright Knot :D

kieran: Do you have a link to where I can get those savers?
They sound like they could save me a few €€€

Cheers.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:29 am

Danny M. wrote:I copied your set up last night and gave it a few casts.
Its alot better way to fish than the setup I was using, and I also learned how to tie the Albright Knot :D

I used to notice that the hooks were sometimes tangling the leader during the cast. Getting rid of the swivel helped this.

I know a lot of people don't like using clips and either tie on or use a loop. Find this a bit too much fiddling about if you're indecisive like me and can't decide what lure to use ...

I'm not even sure if I'm tying the albright properly but it works!! After wrapping the braid around both strands of the fluro loop (about 20 times) I put about 4 or 5 extra wraps through the loop (couple each side of the brain main line), if that makes sense. Prevents the loop slipping but I'm not sure if its correct. Working so far though :D

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:50 am

My setup is pretty similar the those already mentioned. 30lb Braid attached to a 2' length of 15 - 20lb flurocarbon with an albright knot. Although I know tying directly to the lure is better in term of the action of the lure, I still end up using a link swivel quiet often out of sheer laziness. :oops:

teacher wrote:I'm not even sure if I'm tying the albright properly but it works!! After wrapping the braid around both strands of the fluro loop (about 20 times) I put about 4 or 5 extra wraps through the loop (couple each side of the brain main line), if that makes sense. Prevents the loop slipping but I'm not sure if its correct. Working so far though :D

The link below illustrates how to tie the Albright knot quite well however I normally wrap the braid around more than they show, probably around 20 or so wraps.

[url]http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php[/url]