Top Pollack lures...?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Just wondering lads what your top five lures would be for pollack, and weather conditions and time of the year they are best suited for? I know jelly worm lures are good but what are your favorites....

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:19 pm

3" orange shad on a long flowing trace, its hard to beat imho

brian

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:32 pm

with the brighter days - the shad/rubber fish with the dark backs and lighter undersides are brilliant

those worm type ones with the curly tails in the light colours can be great also - jig them up and down

great also if you can bait the feathers on a sandy bottom and rise them up and down onto the bed after a retrieve - they will watch them all the way in and strike near the shore

great craic

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:50 pm

james, 4in. redgills 3 ft. behind 1 or 2 oz. leads. cast allow to sink to the bottom retreve at a very slow speed, we were out in the punt a few times in last few weeks targeted pollock over a reef, had lots to 8lb+. some were as long as a fishbox, we tryed most other lures/rubbers nothing even came close, a single white mackerl feather fished the same way is almost as good and a lot better than most of the sandeel/shad lures. if we go out the weekewnd i will take some pics. and post a report.. i.m.h.o. there is no lure as good as a black redgill for bass/pollock.

pollack lures...

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 am

If I were pollack hunting from a rocky mark on the shore...

1. whole joey mackerel, gills and mouth bound shut, tail cut off, slashed, no need for a lead, the weight is more than enough to cast it...

2. storm leadhead featuring sandeel or ragworm, low and slow

3. red or pink and black firetail jellyworm, the bigger the better

4. spinnerbait with shad, yeah I know its a pike lure for weedy stretches but they go mad for the spinner, don't ask me why...

5. german or norwegian sprat for the first 20 minutes

and here's the thing, use them in reverse order, 5 back to 1. The fish will get spooked by the metal lures after the first 20 minutes and the soft plastic take over. The fish can go "plucky" so a change can generate a proper bite as well. That or changing the speed, slow slow fast... and you would be amazed how small a pollack will happily chase a mackerel!

FWIW

Pollack Lures

Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 am

Black Delta Eel (95mm)...will even outfish the redgill :shock:

Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 pm

4.5" flouro orange jelly, ive yet to find a better allround jelly. Hard to get but worth the search!!

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Best pollack lure has to be a red kilty fished slow and deep never fails! the new jap lures arent bad either

Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Some very handy info there lads thanks for all the replys!!