what line

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 pm

ok i said i,d post this here even though its a q&a post
what mono do u use i have tried suffix tritanium and hated it (6kg) have taken it off and am giving berkley trilene xl a go (6.4g)it seems a lot more supple than the suffix and i hope its a bit better , i do use braid but like a reel with mono on it for some fishing any opinions ?

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Just a thought ... I know you said you like mono sometimes but would another option be to use a longer mono leader attached to your braid??

I've used amnesia in the past as a mono leader for lure fishing because it seems to join well to braid and is resistant to abrasion. I'm trying the new Berkeley Fluoro at the moment (not the vanish, the one in the gold box).

Someone recommended the Varivas Fluoro line as being excellent for this appplication as well.

Sorry, I know it doesn't answer the original question ...

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:40 pm

I don't use mono at all for Lure fishing Roger. I due use a flurocarbon leader though. I used to only use a fluro leader the odd time, but after a couple of sessions in Waterford last year where the braid / fluro outfished the braid only option about 4 to 1, I'll be sticking to braid with a 6 foot fluro leader from now on. I use seaguar fluro.

On the mono side, I really like suffix tritanium.... nice a supple and and nice to cast as well. You could try Sakuma. The have a 14lb 0.31mm line that is very nice and casts well. They have a few colours, but I like the crystal grey.

Kev

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

maybe the spool i have is banjaxed it is a few years old but has been stored in a draw in the shed away from sunlight it seems very hard compared to the berkley stuff ,the reason for mono is some marks would be a disaster with braid due to rocks cutting it at least with mono u can respool after a session for little cost compared to braid what bs are you using in braid for spinning i have a bait runner with 30 lb that seems ok and funny teacher its got amnesia for a leader at the moment ,might give the fluro a try
thanks lads
dodger

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:22 pm

roger de dodger wrote:what bs are you using in braid for spinning

I'm using 20lb PowerPro at the moment. I guess I'm using it over similar ground to yourself Roger ... rocky east coast marks.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:36 pm

NO dublin bassing ,shopping trollies and sunken cars :lol:

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:17 pm

i use 20lb braid for spinning with a ten pound leader, usually berkleys

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Eric. Is that the new Berkeley Trilene fluorocarbon ("Professional Grade", whatever that means). I've only started using it but it seems better than the Vanish.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:09 am

I'm using 30lb (powerpro) for new or very snaggy venues. I use 20lb once I know an area. I have a fantastic spool of seaguer fluro I imported from Japan. It's 0.43 (I'll double check later) and 30lb :shock: . I use this as my leader 99% of the time. I will be on the look out for some 18lb-20lb in the same stuff soon.

I just purchased a light (4-20g) 8 foot rod for the portaboat. I plan to use this for lighter plugging off the porta with 10lb braid with 10lb fluro leader and an Abu 4601 reel. I am worried about the castability of the 4601 with light lures although the Bass guys in the US love it. I would really like a magged 4600 size reel like the Abu Revo STX-L just for the extra control of the cast, but the budget won't push out that far at the moment. :cry:

Kev

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm

teacher wrote:Hi Eric. Is that the new Berkeley Trilene fluorocarbon ("Professional Grade", whatever that means). I've only started using it but it seems better than the Vanish.

never really bothered using flouro while spinning, used it the odd time and found no great advantages usually clear trilene works grand

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 pm

teacher wrote:Hi Eric. Is that the new Berkeley Trilene fluorocarbon ("Professional Grade", whatever that means). I've only started using it but it seems better than the Vanish.

Anything is better than Vanish. The last of my spools of Vanish, Vanished into the bin the other day during a clean up.

Kev