Smoothound

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:24 am

I've been thinking about lure fishing for big smoothound, maybe using soft plastic worms or plastic crabs. Somewhere like Rosslare point. Would it work? Don't even know if smoothound are predatory enough to go for a lure ...

Any thoughts? Wasting my time?

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:42 am

beleave it or not this year on a rock mark while fishing with roger the dodger i caught a smoothie around 5lbish,,,, and when he was on the rock he spat out an eddystone eel

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:08 am

sharks are lazy fish especially in cold water (because cold water holds more oxygen) so to get them to attack would only be out of aggression IMHO...it would be better to spin with a bait like crab instead of a lure or even live bait (live bait hooked right can live for hours, all day in fact)

Denis the way your luck have been this year, you'd probably catch fish on a sweaty sock :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom.

smoothound

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:22 am

Jon

This is definetly a worthwhile challenge and one worth pursuing - i tried with a few SWFF'ishers last year at 'the cannons' with suspended crab patterns and fast sinking lines - it was only a short trip but will make a concerted effort this year as i do think its possible, tough but possible.

i do know you can catch tope on lures at the right time/lures - and certainly blues and other sharks can/are be caught with the fly or lure, its done quite regulary on the west coast.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am

the way i fish for them off the boat is by gilling them, fishing my bait about a foot off the bottom jerking the rod slightly to add movement, the smoothhound seem to like a moving bait, no reason why it cant work

Smooth Hound

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:54 pm

Interesting post! I have spent a bit of time thinking bout how to catch hounds on light tackle and would love to have a go with some sort artifical. I have certainly seen footage of smooth hounds being very predetory so one would think it has to be possible. They are very fond of squid so this surely opens up some possibilities Or perhaps a diving plug bottom bumped might induce a take. I think jim is right the cannons or some where further up the east coast..

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:09 pm

[img]http://rs.tacklewarehouse.com/tac/ProductImages/R2SSY-BMR.JPG[/img]

Myself and Rapalajoe were fishing a mark last Summer and he tried this above, a short time later he had a good take that he couldn't stop, it could have been a Pollock but then again it could've been a Smoothound, I don't see why not,its fished on the bottom and stands up in defensive mode when bumped slightly off the bottom in the right way,could be worth a try down Rosslare way next year.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:14 am

what about using that glup stuff, it will withstand casting and supposed to have some scent, could be worth a go