Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:01 am

Paddy,

Right on....Fin-Nor have a track record second to none....not cheap but value for money IMHO

Mind you kept that lottery win quiet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:27 am

paddyc wrote:I just picked up a Fin-nor AHAB and it seem spot on to cover any lure fishing needs, i had it originally ordered it for my trip to The Gambia in Nov but it arrived too late so Henry very kindly loaned me one of his Mitchel Nautils and they are a fantastic reel, he has 3-4 of them and never had any bother with them and believe me they have been through it all and some more over the years in africa and here and still have no problem landing tuna to 20lb, i hope to have the fin-nor out very soon and will post my thoughts.
I have seen the revo tom has and its a quality reel and 24lb of drag is just excelent. I did look at van staal reels but TBH i could not pay that much for a reel that doesnt even make me a cup of tea! :lol:

paddy,
i have got three mitchel nautils at home now that i got from henrys in dublin who is a good friend of mine and i go lure fishing regulally to some very cool secret spots , but as the two years came up bang ,somehow salt had got into the gears ,,the reel has been out of production since 2003 so cannot be sent away for repair ,well i dont think so???any help on that one,
i am not dragging the nautil down great little reel when going right but they do not do what it says on the tin

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 am

Some posts have been edited in this thread. Please stay on topic and play nice. Posts will be removed next time.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Hey tom you would be making another order to Terry if i had have won :lol: :lol: and some others too :wink:
Caz, just like all reels maybe you got a monday morn nautils :lol: i have used henrys a few times and even on my rod as a wading staff plunging it in and out of the sea and has been hassle free, i would rate them very high in my book. I just hope the Fin-nor can match it as expectations are high for it now...

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:14 am

paddyc wrote:Hey tom you would be making another order to Terry if i had have won :lol: :lol: and some others too :wink:
Caz, just like all reels maybe you got a monday morn nautils :lol: i have used henrys a few times and even on my rod as a wading staff plunging it in and out of the sea and has been hassle free, i would rate them very high in my book. I just hope the Fin-nor can match it as expectations are high for it now...

the yellow nautil on the picture posted in the earlier post was my first and lasted twice as long as the next two witch are the black versions and yes these reels are designed for underwater work thats why i bought them,and by the way a very expensive reel too at 200euro each
so now they have died and gone to heaven i have to make a desision on another water proof reel and that is the van staal due to the reason of using your rod as a wading stick and fishing rough weather and seas as we do on many times down here in wexford,,,
so i personally made it my buisness to get the reel that does fit the job i personally want it to do and because of the good exchange rate on the dollar at the moment and a fantastic trade discount because craig at van staal knows the reel will be seen i made the purchase checking the price with her indoors 360euros that is not bad for a top quality reel ,
and paddy i hope the VS matches my expectations

Reels

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:06 pm

Jimbo it sounds to me like you are looking to get started? Correct me if im wrong? So look here is my ten cents! Shimano make some affordable reels that function really well and allow you to fish braid stress free. The exage is an ok reel but I feel you like most folks will tier of it quickly. Take a look at the shimsno stradic 4000 front drag! Personally I only fish front drag reels I find them far superior and just as easy to play fish with. I say the stradic because for the extra you pay, it will last longer as you may not wish to upgrade as quickly. The technium is slightly cheeper and slightly heavier but still a really good reel. I just picked up a stradic for 150 and am delighted with it, really nice feel to it and lovely size perfect bass!

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:42 pm

if your on a budget (like me) i have found the Okuma Interceptor Pro range good..
i have the IPBF 65, quite a large reel but truly sturdy, with 2 spools one metal (perfect for braid) and a plastic one for holding mono,

have caught quite a few fish spinning with it, and because of its size i have pulled out doggies huss and ray with no trouble,

the interceptor baitfeeder range are also a good reels to look at, and like the pro range are sturdy and will take a hammering..

plus all under a budget of E60

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40 pm

I am starting out and on a budget to a point. I want reasonably decent gear so that I can give it a good go and depending on how things go will take it from there. I don't believe I would be able to get value from a €300 or €400 reel or appreciate it properly until I have a bit more experience.
What I want right now is a reel that will let me fish lures on braid without too much trouble, and lightweight as I want to keep the gear light and have a bit of fun.

@Padge73 - The Stradic looks like a really nice reel, how would you compare it to the Saros?

@Stevecrowe74 - Is the Okuma heavy? A quick search on the web gave me the impression it aimed at freshwater, in your experience is it handling the sea ok?

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:00 pm

countryjimbo wrote:Is the Okuma heavy? A quick search on the web gave me the impression it aimed at freshwater, in your experience is it handling the sea ok?

the 65 is the largest of the range.. but the 30-50 are actually quite light, most tackle shops stock them,

as for handling the sea.. only has a bit of salt water corrosion, but thats my own fault for not cleaning it often enough...
i cannot fault it for what it is and does, very smooth action as well

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:58 pm

i use okuma reels too fro spinning, have a few several years, the lastest one came from the USA (gift from perants holiday) great reel, light and two spools, i give it a rinse after every trip in fresh water and so far they havent let me down, i try not let it get submerged in sea water, for the amount of spinning and plugging i do its top notch. May get a shimano someday, i like them, but probably get a wee multi instead

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:24 am

I think spinning is very hard on a reel esp if you are pulling it out of snags I got a shimano for €45 last year its still going strong. I also treat my gear really badly so I never buy expensive gear.

I would say if you are the type of person that looks after their stuff go dear if not get something small and light from a good manufacturer.

Reels

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:54 pm

Not sure Jim have never fished with the other! You could also have a look at an okuma Vs40 they are a little gem of a reel. Again front drag light and well able to cope with anything the Irish sea has to offer! As regards size they are comparable to the shimano stradic 4000 and slightly cheeper retailing some where around 160, lays braid really efficently I have suffered no wind knots using it! Any way there are two reels that are really worth looking at! I hope that helps a bit!
Cheers
P

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:05 pm

[url]http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokumavs20.html[/url]
[url]http://www.tackletour.com/reviewstradic.html[/url]
[url]http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanostradicMg.html[/url]

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:if your on a budget (like me) i have found the Okuma Interceptor Pro range good..
i have the IPBF 65, quite a large reel but truly sturdy, with 2 spools one metal (perfect for braid) and a plastic one for holding mono,

have caught quite a few fish spinning with it, and because of its size i have pulled out doggies huss and ray with no trouble,

the interceptor baitfeeder range are also a good reels to look at, and like the pro range are sturdy and will take a hammering..

stevie, yes that is all well and good , as far as i am concerned the amount of lure fishing that i do i need a reliable reel dosent realy matter how much it costs ,i want it to serve year after year , i have had all the cheapies i have had the dearies as well that is why ,in your oppinion i seem to be going over the top on a reel for simply lure fishing i would say you may be in my position in a few more years,,its the manufactures that hold the key they need to keep procucing and earnig their crust
how many times in a 4 hour match do you cast and retrieve??
6 times per hour max 8
8 x 4 =32 lets say you win the match busy night 40 times
lure fishing its 50 times per hour in my case 3 to 4 times per week this gives you a reality check on the wear and tear of a reel

gee

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:20 pm

cazbass wrote:lure fishing its 50 times per hour in my case 3 to 4 times per week this gives you a reality check on the wear and tear of a reel

you obviously dont know how much i get out fishing.. i dont fish for 4 hours, that would be waisting my time.. i usually go out between 6 and 18 hrs at a time, that includes spinning, close beach work, and distance, in all weather.. not just fine weather when it suits spinning/plugging, and i mean all weather.. force 10 is the strongest i've fished in.. and that cant be good for any reel..

so in reality i spend more time fishing than boasting about fishing.. well maybe not :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:35 pm

cazbass wrote:
stevecrow74 wrote:if your on a budget (like me) i have found the Okuma Interceptor Pro range good..

stevie, yes that is all well and good , as far as i am concerned the amount of lure fishing that i do i need a reliable reel dosent realy matter how much it costs ,i want it to serve year after year , i have had all the cheapies i have had the dearies as well that is why ,in your oppinion i seem to be going over the top on a reel for simply lure fishing i would say you may be in my position in a few more years,,its the manufactures that hold the key they need to keep procucing and earnig their crust
how many times in a 4 hour match do you cast and retrieve??
6 times per hour max 8
8 x 4 =32 lets say you win the match busy night 40 times
lure fishing its 50 times per hour in my case 3 to 4 times per week this gives you a reality check on the wear and tear of a reel

gee

anyone that knows me knows i fish a lot, i use my daiwa regal for scratching and spinning, its lasted two years, is in perfect working order and costed 75 euros

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Another review...
[url]http://www.stripersurf.com/tackle101_N1.html[/url]
[url]http://www.stripersurf.com/tackle101_N2.html[/url]

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:
cazbass wrote:lure fishing its 50 times per hour in my case 3 to 4 times per week this gives you a reality check on the wear and tear of a reel

you obviously dont know how much i get out fishing.. i dont fish for 4 hours, that would be waisting my time.. i usually go out between 6 and 18 hrs at a time, that includes spinning, close beach work, and distance, in all weather.. not just fine weather when it suits spinning/plugging, and i mean all weather.. force 10 is the strongest i've fished in.. and that cant be good for any reel..

so in reality i spend more time fishing than boasting about fishing.. well maybe not :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

as a moderator on this site that is a very poor and irresponsible reply to a very pertinant question,we are looking at reelwear and tear here a light spinning reel gets more loading than any other reel obviously you personally have a axe to grind:shock: :shock:

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:57 pm

cazbass wrote:as a moderator on this site that is a very poor and irresponsible to a very pertinant question,we are looking at reelwear and tear here a light spinning reel gets more loading than any other reel if you dont wast to answer dont ,,, :shock: :shock:

being a moderator has nothing to do with the way i fish, FYI i use an 11ft spinning rod as an extremely light beachcaster with a spinning reel(many members of the site will collaborate that fact).. not that you have read any of my reports. I made a valid comment as a member of the site, that its not what you use but how you use it, and pointed out that most of my gear goes through a rough time when being fished by me, its not everyday you drag a 5lbs ray with a light spinning rod, but it sure is one way of testing a reel. Huss and doggies will put any light gear though there paces and if the quality is inferior, it will show very quickly.

so don't think that i know nothing about reel wear and tear, i put all my equipment through its paces, might not be the expensive stuff either, but i have found that it lasts just as well as any top range gear, as long as care is taken in maintaining the equipment it will last...

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:11 am

stevecrow74 wrote:
cazbass wrote:as a moderator on this site that is a very poor and irresponsible to a very pertinant question,we are looking at reelwear and tear here a light spinning reel gets more loading than any other reel if you dont wast to answer dont ,,, :shock: :shock:

being a moderator has nothing to do with the way i fish, FYI i use an 11ft spinning rod as an extremely light beachcaster with a spinning reel(many members of the site will collaborate that fact).. not that you have read any of my reports. I made a valid comment as a member of the site, that its not what you use but how you use it, and pointed out that most of my gear goes through a rough time when being fished by me, its not everyday you drag a 5lbs ray with a light spinning rod, but it sure is one way of testing a reel. Huss and doggies will put any light gear though there paces and if the quality is inferior, it will show very quickly.

so don't think that i know nothing about reel wear and tear, i put all my equipment through its paces, might not be the expensive stuff either, but i have found that it lasts just as well as any top range gear, as long as care is taken in maintaining the equipment it will last...

yes i do agree , i have 6500 abus from to 60s but maintainance is a valid point but its like this why does the washing machine break down just after the warrenty has run out,yes there are exeptions to the rule like the abu but we are living in 2007 now everything is worked out for resale and repair steve get my drift