Best reels for Lure fishing

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Best reels for Lure fishing

Postby countryjimbo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:42 pm

hi,

I want to do some lure fishing and I'm trying to decide on the best reel. I'm looking for something middle of the road price wise (max €100) that will allow me fish lures effectively. I plan to use braid, probably 20lb. The lures will be along the lines of those mentioned in JimH's post a while back, targeting Bass mainly but also Pollack etc ...

Going on the advise that a slow oscillating mechanism is required, I have been looking at the Shimano range and there are a lot of different models.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... reels.html

My current preference is the Saros 3000F, on the basis that it has all the features, is light and not too expensive.

I'd like to hear what others use, what's good / bad etc.

Any feedback appreciated.

James.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing rods.
countryjimbo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby brianbru » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:11 pm

hi jimbo

i recently got the shimano super 4000 GTM-RB along with a Diawa wilderness 10' its a great combo i would recommend it

Brian
brianbru
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby countryjimbo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:54 pm

That's a nice combo Brian. Did you consider any of the other Shimano reels? Why did you choose that one?

James.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing rods.
countryjimbo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby inigo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:44 pm

I've got the Exage 4000 FA. It's not the best but it's affordable. I can't compare with other reels because it's the first (and only one) I ever had. I know many people in Spain start with this reel and nobody seems to have any problems or complaints. I've paired it with a 2.70m 190g rod and use it with 20lb and 10lb braid. I'm very happy with the results so far.
inigo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Rockhopper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Here is one hell of a lure reel......this little thing can pull 24lb of drag, it casts like a dream and has every bell and whistle that Abu could put on it...comes in LH & RH......RapalaJoe knows more about them than me, if he wants to chip in.

These are what the tournament casters are using for chucking 18g plugs
Attachments
Abu Revo 2.jpg
Abu Revo 2.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Abu Revo.jpg
Abu Revo.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Rockhopper

Postby cazbass » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Rockhopper wrote:Here is one hell of a lure reel......this little thing can pull 24lb of drag, it casts like a dream and has every bell and whistle that Abu could put on it...comes in LH & RH......RapalaJoe knows more about them than me, if he wants to chip in.

These are what the tournament casters are using for chucking 18g plugs

been thro enough spinning reels to build a new breakwater off roslare,when using any reel in salt water they just dont mix together i have just purchased a vanstall 150 from the good ole us of a, water proof and service guarenteed for life, designed for striper fishing and not cheap, my advice would be go pretty cheap expecting the worse,,
and work your way up,,
cazbass

Postby eric » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:41 pm

i use a daiwa regal 4500, pretty good work horse, had a shimano something or another (supposed to be used for pike) it didn't last the pace :(
species for 2009 (42)
species for 2010 (27)
species for 2011 (12)
species for 2012 (8)
[i][b][color=#0000BF] best advice for catching species is girls dont like fishing and its hard to catch fish when you sell all your gear'[/color][/b][/i]
eric
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

reels

Postby JimH » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 pm

CJ - i might have some indication of your fishing patterns - so i would recommend based on your budget the following

Shimano symetre 4000 - 75.00 with spool or try the Shimano Tecnium 4500 at around 135.00, the reel you mention is also excellent and a great size (3000) - as is the other shimano mentioned.

To be honest Daiwa/shimano offer some good reels for spinning/lure fishing that are within your range and perfect for your early needs.

Longevity depends on how your treat and maintain your equipment of course and SW is demanding. I know you look after stuff so expect any of the above to perform for a long time, a quick splash with FW and a wipe with a cloth lightly sprayed with WD40 works wonders.

If you begin to like/improve at lure fishing then these can be passed easily to your young son as they are still perfectly good inexpensive lure fishing reels that can do the job.

You could then move to something with more finesse (quality) which would allow you to target a wider range of lures more specifically for more species.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby rapalajoe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Cb,
Vanstaal and ZeeBaas is too overkill for our european seabass, that reel can even be fit in the same class of other speed jigging fixed spool as Metaroyal,Stella Accu Twin Drag and Saltiga Exp.....yes they re a good reel....use proper tool for proper task.....maximize the pleasure....

That abu is nice....u can count on it even on the sailfish....but i am sure that CJ is looking for a fixed spool reel.

Most people here more towards shimano.....but daiwa also do have their nice reel....other than Regal....i would say Fream Kix 3000 or 2500.Shimano Ultegra Advance also nice.....all that i mention are all in your budget of range.

Then again u have a lots of choice for these 2 major brand.Do some search and u can find theres a lot of other models according to region....JDM(japan domestic model),EDM(europe domestic model) and USDM(us domestic model).

A few model from different manufacture that can be consider and in your budget range.But can only be buy online.

Team Daiwa Advantage-A,Team Daiwa Tierra,Team Daiwa Theory-USDM
Okuma VS

Abu Garcia Cardinal 700LX

Shimano Saros,Stradic F1 and Sustain-USDM

From Jim H post...i'll definitely go for Technium,a lower model than Twinpower which can be considered a downgrade and affordable Stella.Many angler that i know owned this reel consider it as good value for money.
rapalajoe
SAI Hammerhead

Best reel for lure fishing

Postby fishermannum1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:43 am

have been using shake spears skp solara reels for four years now,from rocks and peirs and now from the beach,an have never had any problem.they are small but sturdy,have removed the levelwind on one of them to use off the beach, and its giveing a great cast.got them in a clearance sale for just £20 each.its four years fishing now,an they are still going strong.when they do pack up,well i have another two still in their boxs to fall back on. there cheep but very sturdy.
as ole rab c said " see me' see the sea' i love the sea me"
right i'am off for a swally!!!!!!! so were's the F***'n purse!!!!!!!
fishermannum1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby Richie07 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:08 am

inigo wrote:I've got the Exage 4000 FA. It's not the best but it's affordable. I can't compare with other reels because it's the first (and only one) I ever had. I know many people in Spain start with this reel and nobody seems to have any problems or complaints. I've paired it with a 2.70m 190g rod and use it with 20lb and 10lb braid. I'm very happy with the results so far.

I have the same reel and use 12lb Berkley line, super little reel, before this I was using the 5000B and just found it too big and too much overkill for the fish I was after. For next year I'm gonna load the 4000 with some braid and drop the rod size down to 8ft.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

reels

Postby JimH » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:49 pm

sounds like a perfect balance to me Richie - great fun too!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby countryjimbo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:51 pm

hi Lads,

I thought I was a bit confused by the Shimano range, now I have to consider Dawia, VanStaal, Okuma , ABU and am really confused :?

Ah not really, I can see there are some super reels being recommended here like Cazbass's Vanstaal 150 and RockHoppers Abu. I'd consider these a bit down the line for me at the moment.
I think I'll stick with FS and Shimano and try and choose from Saros, Stradic F1, Sustain or Technium. It looks like any of these will do what I need right now and its a matter of personal choice, price and how easy they are to obtain.

I might chance one of the American websites seeing that the $ to € conversion is so good right now. :wink:

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it :)

James.
countryjimbo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby cazbass » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:04 pm

joe,
after too many years,around 25 lure fishing this is the final run of the dice for me and may i say the vanstall100 fix spool and 150 are perfect size for our bass and a clutch to die for,thats what you are paying for with these very cool reels,,
i have been thro 3 mitchel nautil waterproof reels inpast 5yrs i actually thought these reels were the dogs bollocks ,wrong,,lasted like all the others 1 to 2 years then bang,,
suppose if you use and abuse that what you get!!
jimbo ,
as was said start off cheapish abu,daiwa,penn and work your way up,,
Attachments
Powershot Pics 014.jpg
Powershot Pics 014.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
cazbass

Postby countryjimbo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:58 pm

I don't think I'll be putting as much pressure on the reels as you do Cazbass unless I get snagged!!

Nice bass in the photo, you picked a great background for the shot.

Btw is the red tape neccessary to catch fish? :wink:
countryjimbo
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Rockhopper » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Your claiming its the best and unlike other reels is saltwater friendly, well it has a waterproof seal, but so have many other reels, nothing new there. With the Van Staal though, break the seal and the warranty is void.......service guarantee..OK, but you have to pay $50.00 when you send it back to their workshop " that's what you are paying for with these very cool reels" The warranty does not cover Van Staal products that are damaged due to abuse, misuse, corrosion, normal wear and tear or neglect. :roll:

" Not Cheap" :roll: So what are you really getting for the money you pay for this reel IMHO the bragging rights to say you own one and can pose with it more than you fish with it.....in other words fur coat and no knickers :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Come on Mr Hill, this is Sea Angling Ireland, not Cabo St Lucas........that little Abu Revo STX retails for about £200 plus in the UK and will give any owner value for money as well as good sport whatever they get hooked up to in our waters and so easy to use too, it pulls 24lb of drag geezas even Henry Gilbey doesn't catch Bass that pull that hard :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby cazbass » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:07 pm

Tom, [mod edit: I made that claim about] mitchell nautil with a 2 year gaurentee that claimed it was a totally water proof reel and was not bought 3 and all broke up in 3 yrs,any angler who is worth his salt with any experience in shore plug fishing will know that the reel gets a lot of hammer,certainly 3 to 4 timesa week on average tho the year,
i have just purchased the reel and if you knew me i would not say it was the [mod edit: best] until i have used it to a better degree,,517 dollars dealing with van staal direct is not an a large sum ,certainly in this modern forward thinking ireland we all live in,for a reel that HAS been specificly designed for Bass fishing and guys who know how to do it thats not cheap but not bad with todays tackle prices,,
cazbass

Postby cazbass » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:14 pm

countryjimbo wrote:I don't think I'll be putting as much pressure on the reels as you do Cazbass unless I get snagged!!

Nice bass in the photo, you picked a great background for the shot.

Btw is the red tape neccessary to catch fish? :wink:

jimbo ,
thats my lucky red tape,bad reel fitting, just look for a decent reel ,veals in bristol will put you right for starters

Graham
cazbass

Postby Rockhopper » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 pm

saltwater and metal reels dont like each other, even a Van Staal.

If you want to see what spinning reel most of the east coast American anglers use for Stripers look here http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/detail.aspx?ID=43 I know enough of the guys out there to know that they prefer the SS 2600 Salt version over anything else :wink:

Tom.
Rockhopper

Postby paddyc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 am

I just picked up a Fin-nor AHAB and it seem spot on to cover any lure fishing needs, i had it originally ordered it for my trip to The Gambia in Nov but it arrived too late so Henry very kindly loaned me one of his Mitchel Nautils and they are a fantastic reel, he has 3-4 of them and never had any bother with them and believe me they have been through it all and some more over the years in africa and here and still have no problem landing tuna to 20lb, i hope to have the fin-nor out very soon and will post my thoughts.
I have seen the revo tom has and its a quality reel and 24lb of drag is just excelent. I did look at van staal reels but TBH i could not pay that much for a reel that doesnt even make me a cup of tea! :lol:
Cast-Monkey :-)
-----------------------------
SPORTSCAST IRELAND
paddyc
Casting Tart

Have thanks: 179 times

Next

Return to Lure Fishing