Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Cool have to get some balsa blocks to work with.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:31 pm

them carving kits/hobby knives were on sale in lidl.

there were two sets to choose from i think one was around 6 euro the other 10.

if you hurry up you might get one tomorrow :wink:

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Cheers for that john i'll have a look tomorrow.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Got a set from Lidl there for €8 loads of different shape blades in it. Cheers for that John they had laods of them left if anyone is interested got it in the dun laoghaire one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Got a set from Lidl there for €8 loads of different shape blades in it. Cheers for that John they had laods of them left if anyone is interested got it in the dun laoghaire one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:16 pm

dont blame me if you cut your fingers jack. :wink: :lol:

Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 pm

This my new project....just for the tip.I seal it and put on the hardware(hook and split ring).
Its a pencil like sammy....i want it to float nose up 45 degree,just in between horizontal and vertical so i can have both balance bowing and sliding action when walk the dog.
To get the action that i want i have to weight it.
I use the small drill bullet/ball weight.Thread it through the pin,and stick it to the belly of my lure and test it in the tub.Play around with the position,number and size of weight until u got the floating position that u want.In my case i settle with 3 weigh just behind the belly.
Drill in the hole and stick in the weight.All the hole is filled with epoxies.

Sat May 03, 2008 12:27 pm

A pollack on one of the home made.....

Sat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

well done joe, id say its very satisfing catchin on lures u made urself :D :D

the lure looks da bizz by the way.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:19 am

Wow :shock: , I have read this post completely and it never ceases to amaze me, the level of excellent information and advice available on SAI.
Well done Joe, you've got me thinkin :)

Re: Lure making...

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:44 pm

i sometimes make spinners for mullet.
i use a piece of wire, a spinner blade, red, orange, yellow, pink or green beads, 15 pound line, a size 10 or 12 hook and a size 6 or 8 hook.
to use these you need to use bait on them, prefarably ragworm, mackerel, earthworm and maggot.
i used them in millisle in july never caught any but i hooked a couple but missed them, but they work. i saw a fella usin them and he had a coupleof mullet on them.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:00 pm

OK all you lure making guys, especially the ones asking about buying components. Check out www.staminainc.com and see wot they have on offer and the prices.

Remember it was theshoreking who gave you this link!!!! :P

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:37 pm

theshoreking wrote:OK all you lure making guys, especially the ones asking about buying components. Check out http://www.staminainc.com and see wot they have on offer and the prices.

Remember it was theshoreking who gave you this link!!!! :P

bass 400 so far :shock: are you related to Cortaz :?:

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Nope. Just the way it is with so many of the bloody things down here. Theyre such a nuisance. :lol: :lol:

Re:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 am

rapalajoe wrote:Nah.....cant sell it.....still have a lot to improve and tweak....its just so addictive doing it.....like rod building...once u start it....very hard to stop....lots of guys that start this just to save money on buying lure,but instead they end up spending more to buy the tools such an airbrush etc....etc....

Yeah it is very adictive, I find myself looking at cataloges and figering out how to make something similar. You cant go shopping anymore without seeing the potential for lure making in everyday objects.

here is a slideshow / video of the first spoons / butter knife :lol: that I made and decorated with a few old eyes and stickers I found in the shed .... the spoons work realy well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SfzuUCOezC0

Anyone make spoons or spinners as well ?

Fri May 28, 2010 6:53 pm

I was inspired by this thread and after coming across it did some reading online and got hold of the following book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Wooden-F ... 618&sr=8-1

The book is very good, although I hadn't realised when buying it that a good few of the lures he details how to make are for freshwater / coarse fishing. The main concepts though are well explained and there are a couple of projects regarding making lures for sea fishing. I had a crack at making my first shallow diving plug type lure and am pretty pleased with the result (see below).

I used balsa wood that I found in a local arts and craft store, and the rest was done with a jigsaw, carving knife, drill, white acrylic undercoat (3 undercoats), yellow & black enamel spray paint (the only colours I have at the moment) & clear varnish. For the eyes, split rings, hooks, and closed-eye screws I went all out and got some stuff from Jann's Netcraft (an online lure making store).

The lure is a bit on the light side (although I did drill a hole in it to put in a small bit of lead), I cast it out yesterday evening to see what it's action was like. It seems to dive to about a foot or so when you are retrieving, but immediately floats to the surface if you slow down the retrieve or stop. It also wiggles a bit from side to side but probably not as much as other shop bought plugs. I reckon the colours are not the best was kind of going for a sandeel colour scheme, but will try and get some green and silver for the next plug I make.

Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm

8)

Sun May 30, 2010 9:34 am

Nice one Ronnach....hope u enjoy it...tackleunderground also one of the alternative source for lure maker....in term of how to and the science behind the lure ie:where and method to install weight and the effect of the weight position to the action of the finnish lure....when u got to this then its gonna be more addictive since u will start to build lures on ur desire action rather than look....cheeerrss...

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 pm

I saw this post a few weeks back and decided to give it a go. I've finished my first lure using balsa wood with a through wire design. It's supposed to be a diving minnow or something like that. I varnished it to seal it and covered with digital print vinyl (my own take on a mackerel pattern) now i just have to find some of those wandering eye things and it'll be done. I think this one will be ornimental only. Keep it on the book shelf so when i get more practice i can look back and see how my skills are coming along. Cheers for the inspiration joe.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm

deadly pattern on it!