Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:46 am

WaveChopper wrote:I think I saw few of those in sea angler, while ago... if I remember well 8)

if the conditions are right , expecially the clarity of the water in the winter months get out and give it a go you may get some nice surprises :D :D

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:29 pm

anyone ever try flyfishin for coalfish after dark in winter,? when the water is clear, they come in very close, well whitin casting range and can be very numerous, would think it would be a good target species. shrimp/crab type fly? fished on or close to the bottom? :idea: might have a go next time conditions are suitable.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:57 pm

cortaz wrote:anyone ever try flyfishin for coalfish after dark in winter,? when the water is clear, they come in very close, well whitin casting range and can be very numerous, would think it would be a good target species. shrimp/crab type fly? fished on or close to the bottom? :idea: might have a go next time conditions are suitable.

would be a good crack ,expecially this time of year, loads about after dark,cortaz i would go with spinner with a fly teaser above it worth a shot i thing the problem may be clarity of the water this time of year..

winter lure fishing

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 am

With the right lures and presentations its possible to catch nearly all our saltwater species - its also the same for SWFF only even more difficult and challenging.

It doesnt mean hundreds of fish of great size or fighting quality but they can be caught! Dont focus on bass or pollack - there are other predators too.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:44 pm

i would say the humble flounder would be good on traditional spoons a winter species worth a shot

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Jim, which predators do you mean?

Cazbass, which spoons are you referring too? Would you let them sink, then bounce them off the bottom?

I'm looking for any excuse to go fishing during my first winter as an angler... :oops:

Cheers

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:26 pm

I was considering trying for some flounder this winter with the fly rod any spots around dublin where you dont have to cast more than 25yards. whiterock or killiney????

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:19 pm

[img]http://sea.ap.teacup.com/seabasshunter/timg/middle_1195610957.jpg[/img]

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Nice one Joe. Did that happen in Ireland?

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:59 pm

The photo encourage me to try plugging for them.....
Got two of them in the summer when fishing for bass from the beach..unfortunately dont have the cam with me....theres a plug that was produce specifically to target them,a sinking minnow.....the other alternative plug that can be use is jig minnow.....in japan....most lure fisher or seabasser turn to them in the winter...

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:23 pm

jack01986 wrote:I was considering trying for some flounder this winter with the fly rod any spots around dublin where you dont have to cast more than 25yards. whiterock or killiney????

whiterock on an ebbing tide , say last 3 hours of the and 1st of the flood on a calm clear day, surf seems to put the flats here off :shock: fish are all about 5 yards out any further and your waisting your time :roll: try fishing a plain lug on a size 4 aberdeen on the fly rod, twitching it along the bottom :D

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 pm

inigo wrote:Nice one Joe. Did that happen in Ireland?

dont think so wrong sort of spots,mouth eyes cant you see the stars and stripes,,
inigo go to the local tackle shop and ask for a flounder spoon ,its the shape of a table spoon with a swivil at one end and a hook the other ,hook can be baited,,
cast and retrieve very slowly you may get lucky,,
tobys also work had loads of flounder on tobys skittered off a shallow muddy bottom and to be fair to the flounder the do go a bit on light spinning gear
hope this helps

gee

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 pm

looks like a nordic flounder, there always darker in colour

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:45 pm

The pic was a jap flounder...and the two that i got with a jig minnow in north greystones beach are not the japanese flounder....emmm well maybe they re a jap that re on vacation here in ireland....be open and try a variation of lure....everybody knows that u can catch a flounder on spoon...baited or unbaited...its just another method and variant of lure fishing....variation of lure ,technique and method make lure fishing interesting other than stay with conventional way...u wont know the result if u dont try and experiment....

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:19 pm

rapalajoe wrote:The pic was a jap flounder...and the two that i got with a jig minnow in north greystones beach are not the japanese flounder....emmm well maybe they re a jap that re on vacation here in ireland....be open and try a variation of lure....everybody knows that u can catch a flounder on spoon...baited or unbaited...its just another method and variant of lure fishing....variation of lure ,technique and method make lure fishing interesting other than stay with conventional way...u wont know the result if u dont try and experiment....

come on jo i know what you mean but time is money 8) 8) 8) 8)

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:27 pm

Thats only for person with lack of fishing time management...not in my book...fish hard....no pain no gain....dont try dont know...

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:51 pm

eric wrote:
jack01986 wrote:I was considering trying for some flounder this winter with the fly rod any spots around dublin where you dont have to cast more than 25yards. whiterock or killiney????

whiterock on an ebbing tide , say last 3 hours of the and 1st of the flood on a calm clear day, surf seems to put the flats here off :shock: fish are all about 5 yards out any further and your waisting your time :roll: try fishing a plain lug on a size 4 aberdeen on the fly rod, twitching it along the bottom :D

Cheers for that eric I might try get out this weekend the low tides seems to be at a good time will be around dusk so there could be a chance of something else.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:22 pm

jack01986 wrote:
eric wrote:

Cheers for that eric I might try get out this weekend the low tides seems to be at a good time will be around dusk so there could be a chance of something else.

yep coalies and plenty of them, the fish will start to show about 4:30, i hope the easterlies die down

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:16 am

Thanks for the replies. Certainly helpful. I will of course get out there and try these and maybe other ideas. But that'll be when I get back from Down Under!! :twisted: :twisted: